Adjustable Traveler?

G

Is there some way to adjust the traveler so that it pulls from different points for different wind speeds? You know, give the sail some twist in light winds and make it flat in the heavy ones. Proper use of a traveler is such an effective technique on larger boats, I would think it would also help a lot on the 14.2. Dick K.

An experinced Capri 14.2 racer suggested that you should put two knots at the center of the traveler to limit ANY movemnet side to side of the traveller block. He indicated that this would allow you to better control the angle of the boom to the boat by using the main sheet. I am not sure why the traveler is called a traveller if you do this.

Traveller

I think the C14 handbook available from the National Association addresses the traveller. Also, look on the North Sail and Quantum Sail web sights at the tuning or rigging guide for the C14. I think it talks about that there as well. Links to those 2 web sights are on the C14.org home page.

Russell Lloyd
Memphis-4796

Traveler

The only way to adjust the traveler on the C14.2 is to retie it at either end (under the deck sides) to be shorter or longer. The class association does not allow for the traveler lenght to be adjustable while underway. This keeps the boat simple making for better one design sailing...unless you set your rig up wrong for the wind strenght and sail shape, then you'll be dog slow.

More on the traveler

Tying knots in the traveler is intended so that you can trim your main in as close to the boats center line as possible. If you are looking for maximum speed, this is the way to go. However, you have to compensate more to keep the boat from heeling excessively in heavy wind since with the knots in the traveler, the pull from the traveler to the boat is 100% on the windward side. If you have every sailed a boat with an adjustable traveler, you know that as the wind increases, you drop the traveler more to the leeward side of the boat, away from the wind. From there you can still flatten the sail, but it is away from the center line of the boat. Now if you have tied knots in the 14.2 travler, you have effectively adjusted the traveler to all the way to the windward side of the boat. How close to the center line can you now trim the main and still feel some degree of control over the boat heeling? Great in light winds, but really is not much fun in the heavy stuff.

Interesting point, THedstrom! I never thought of it that way. Since I sail single handed, as many of you do also, perhaps I should get a second traveler without knots for heavier winds (mine currently has the knots in it).

Paul

Back