Adjustable Hiking Strap

Saltybones

I used an adjustable strap last year and found some advantages in it. I know that a lot of people do not use them simply because the different systems of tying them can seem complicated at first. Then there is the issue of needing extra hardware that the various systems require such as the "hiking strap attachment piece", thimbles, bungee, grommets, etc.

Regardless here is a step by step way to tie a simple system that I came up with. It only requires a basic hiking strap and a 36" piece of 1/8"-3/16" line.

Tie a loose basic overhand not about 9" from one end of the line. Run that end through the U-strap.

IMG_3891.jpg

With that same tag end follow knot around. (The same as tying an overhand knot in the middle of a line to make a loop)
IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Tie a slip knot. about 3 -4" away. Make sure it slips toward the knot u just tied, and keep the loop small.
IMG_3894.jpg

Feed the end through the hiking strap.
IMG_3895.jpg

Then through the big loop you made.

IMG_3896.jpg

Then run the end through the loop in the slip knot and tie a stopper knot at the end. If you start out with more line you can make a handle here.
IMG_3897.jpg

Square back the knot that makes the loop so that the it acts as a stopper in the U-strap.
IMG_3898.jpg

And you're done. It works loose as seen above, tight as seen below, and anywhere in between.
IMG_3899.jpg

Pull the tag end toward the bow to tighten, and pull the strand closest to the bottom in the above picture toward the bow to loosen. Give it a try. Chances are you have your strap is tied in just as simply, yet not adjustable.

I used an adjustable strap last year and found some advantages in it. I know that a lot of people do not use them simply because the different systems of tying them can seem complicated at first.

. . .here is a step by step way to tie a simple system that I came up with. It only requires a basic hiking strap and a 36" piece of 1/8"-3/16" line.
Nicely illustrated...

That should be a candidate for the KB folder.

I have been unhappy with my hiking strap setup because of its inability to be quickly adjusted. I will give your set up a try as it is simple and adjustable. The only concern for me is that my strap might be too long. Thanks for posting
><>Don<><

D
I used an adjustable strap last year and found some advantages in it. I know that a lot of people do not use them simply because the different systems of tying them can seem complicated at first. Then there is the issue of needing extra hardware that the various systems require such as the "hiking strap attachment piece", thimbles, bungee, grommets, etc.

Regardless here is a step by step way to tie a simple system that I came up with. It only requires a basic hiking strap and a 36" piece of 1/8"-3/16" line.

Tie a loose basic overhand not about 9" from one end of the line. Run that end through the U-strap.

IMG_3891.jpg

With that same tag end follow knot around. (The same as tying an overhand knot in the middle of a line to make a loop)
IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Tie a slip knot. about 3 -4" away. Make sure it slips toward the knot u just tied, and keep the loop small.
IMG_3894.jpg

Feed the end through the hiking strap.
IMG_3895.jpg

Then through the big loop you made.

IMG_3896.jpg

Then run the end through the loop in the slip knot and tie a stopper knot at the end. If you start out with more line you can make a handle here.
IMG_3897.jpg

Square back the knot that makes the loop so that the it acts as a stopper in the U-strap.
IMG_3898.jpg

And you're done. It works loose as seen above, tight as seen below, and anywhere in between.
IMG_3899.jpg

Pull the tag end toward the bow to tighten, and pull the strand closest to the bottom in the above picture toward the bow to loosen. Give it a try. Chances are you have your strap is tied in just as simply, yet not adjustable.
Nice. Questions- Does that first sequence of overhand knots have a name? Why not use a single bowline?

Back