Adjustable Gooseneck - Not Plug & Play? Help!

2fish4me

So I bought an adjustable lever for my gooseneck and when I unscrewed the gooseneck's original screw, and went to insert/install the adjustable lever, I realized the threads were totally different. It didn't fit.
I haven't found anything about this upon a google search.
What am I doing wrong or what am I not understanding on switching out this part? I can't imagine that everyone who installs this has to (figure out then) go and get the proper fitting helical insert.

Any help would be most welcome. I'm sure I've found a way to make something that was meant to be easy, very hard here, per usual.

:)
Thx.

So I bought an adjustable lever for my gooseneck and when I unscrewed the gooseneck's original screw, and went to insert/install the adjustable lever, I realized the threads were totally different. It didn't fit.
I haven't found anything about this upon a google search.
What am I doing wrong or what am I not understanding on switching out this part? I can't imagine that everyone who installs this has to (figure out then) go and get the proper fitting helical insert.

Any help would be most welcome. I'm sure I've found a way to make something that was meant to be easy, very hard here, per usual.
No instructions..., that's poor form. :(

See if these work for the brand you bought.

4721076416_58b43fd872_b.jpg

If your quick release has different parts please post a picture of everything laid out neatly and we can give it a go.

So I bought an adjustable lever for my gooseneck and when I unscrewed the gooseneck's original screw,
My bet is your gooseneck is from a boat that is from say 1973 or older. Those goosenecks had a bronze screw. The screw passed through an unthreaded top hole in the g-neck, and the lower hole was threaded, and that's what the screw went into.

The newer (ie past 35 years or so) goosenecks have two unthreaded holes and a nut and bolt were used instead of the bronze screw.

If you have a really old g-neck, you will have to drill out the threads in order to use the adjustable lever.

BB

Well, how about that. It is as easy as it should be.

What's it like to be a guru, Wayne? :) That pic you posted makes it all pretty straightforward and simple.

Thx to Beldar Boathead, too, for your help.

Having my "duh" moment over here. (Ain't the first and surely won't be the last.)

Wish you both a good sailing season this year. Going to go charge the battery on my drill.
:eek:

Back