adjustable boom blocks

altair

I saw someone at a local regatta who had installed adjustable boom blocks. He had gone to the NA's and they said it was legal. He said that when the wind picks up he moves the aft block further aft than the normal position. This flattens the sail and brings the boom closer to the deck. Does anyone on the board have adjustable boom blocks? If so, how do you set this system up and and pictures would be helpful.

Don't know what equipment would make this possible, but it would seem to be permitted under the rules:

3.5.3 The location of the boom blocks may be changed.

3.5.5 The boom block eye straps may be replaced with any type of straps.

Kevin

altair said:
I saw someone at a local regatta who had installed adjustable boom blocks. He had gone to the NA's and they said it was legal. He said that when the wind picks up he moves the aft block further aft than the normal position. This flattens the sail and brings the boom closer to the deck. Does anyone on the board have adjustable boom blocks? If so, how do you set this system up and and pictures would be helpful.

He was moving the block the wrong way. When it gets windy you move the aft block forward. That way the end of the spar can bend and spill air from the sail. Same principle as that with the bendy mast on windsurfers. BB:D

Well you can move the front block also. Since you are moving the gooseneck rearward in heavier air, moving the block to keep a good angle would be a nice tuning option. I normally remount the front block several inches back as a compromise for racing height tie off and gooseneck placement over day sailing position.
As for the boom block posted, one good pull on the mainsheet whould pop it off the spar. I've seen them used on charter boats where they wouldn't allow holes drilled for cleats and even with the greatly less force on outlhauls/cunninghams they would move on the spars.

Back