Adjust Laser Rudder Sweep?

Bailey

I measured my new rudder's down angle against the 78 degree maximum and found that it is swept a little too much (probably 3-5 degrees).

Does anyone modify their rudders from stock to enable them to get to the max 78 degree down position? Do people check this number at all?

Bailey

in short--yes and yes!!......it's good to make sure your blade is angled as far forwards as possible--just feel the massive pressure difference when it's a large way up,,and realize the balance difference is better as it goes down,,and that overall,,the legal max is about the best balance between helmpressure and boat control.

Not only does the angle get checked from time to time at events,,but it's clearly visually obvious to others,when a rudder is modified to go further than legal.

Agreed. What's the best way to sweep the rudder more forward? Sand out the rudder where it hits the supports in the rudder housing? Other tricks?

thanks!

some measurers would say that filing the blade where it hits the pin is illegal,,,others would say it isn't ,unless you go too far.---make sure your bolt is the full 5/16 dia,,or the play at the bolt could cause the angle difference.

To increase the angle, the two methods I know of are the filing of the rudder (use a round file) at the spot where it hits the lower support/stop, and enlarging/slotting the pivot hole. Wether either is legal should be discussed with a class measurer...

How does one properly measure the angle? I assume the bottom of the alluminum part of the rudder would be the 0 degree line. Probably I should know this, but how does one accurately measure 78 degrees from that?

In terms of the actual measurement, I used a protractor and posterboard with a line off the bottom of the aluminum rudder brackets.

From the conversation here, it sounds like I shouldn't touch the rudder.

I just checked my rudder,it was 82 Degree. There is alot of play around the pivot. I guess it is old age. You may want to check the pintals. if they have some play, 1mm could create a 5 degree variance oneway or another.

i know that many of the seriously competitive racers flip or completely replace their gudgeons, as the plastic wears and creates play. not sure how much this affects the rudder sweep, but it is defnintiely something to take into account when thinking about making alterations to the rudder.

pleon5045 said:
i know that many of the seriously competitive racers flip or completely replace their gudgeons, as the plastic wears and creates play. not sure how much this affects the rudder sweep, but it is defnintiely something to take into account when thinking about making alterations to the rudder.

...........these are 2 separate variables..........make the rudder angle as forward as legal.......and keep the gudgeon play to a minimum--I once noticed my 'rudder hum' disappeared when I replaced these.

Back