Additional hardware --what, how and thoughts

jaeger

This would be a good place to "talk" about equipment installation tips and how well the item worked.

Items such as tiller tamer, docking cleats, trailer hardware, mast crutches etc.

It will help if everyone enters a description of the item in the subject area.

I will start with a few items:
1) If you add items like tiller tamer or additional cleats that require new holes to be drilled, will this devalue the boat?

2) If you install these items and the next owner wants to race the boat can they be removed to make the boat race legal?

added items

Jeager, what is a tiller tamer? I use a 12" bungy cord looped around the center of the tiller and both ends attached to the hiking straps. If you turn loose of the tiller the bungy centers it. Is this what that is? As far as added items, I am right now getting a reef for the mains'l a flotation sleeve sewn into the top as well.

Kim,
The tiller tamer is similar to what you describe, except it allows you to position the tiller in any position and it stays. This is especially handy when sailing solo!! While dousing or raising the main, getting a drink of water etc..

It bassically has a rope set up similar to the bungee that you describe. the rope is attached to each side of the transom and there is a mechanism that attaches to the tiller. the rope is run through the mechanism in such a way that you can adjust the friction on the rope. You adjust it so you can still move it by hand but if you let go, te tiller stays where you left it.

See the link http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/DAV/DAV2205.html

I saw them for under $25.00.

I saw a post for C16.5 where the mechanism was mounted under the tiller which allowed clam cleats to be mounted on the inside wall of the transom.

You will want to make it so you can release the rope from either end if you want to be able to lift the tiller straight up.

Art

I have made a Mast crutch. I made it with the following criteria: Minimal loose parts, easy to use, quick to change positions, install and remove, a high position to store the boat with a tarp, a lower position for trailering.

I plan to also work on a PVC pipe to hold my jib when it is furled for trailering.

Does anyone know how we can post pictures??

Art

Jeager, I store my jib in a piece of 2" pvc pipe with an end cap glued on one end and a cleanout plug on the other. I just make sure the jib is rolled up tight and slide it down in the pipe and screw the plug in. I carry it beside the mast in the mast crutch on the trailer.

Cheap Tiller Tamer

I sail alone most of the time. My Tiller Tamer is very low budget but works well. It consists of one 13 foot long piece of 3/16" rope. My boat has cleats on both sides at the stern. The rope has a loop in one end large enough to go over a clete.
The procedure to set it up is as follows:
1st Place the middle of the rope over one clete.
2nd Make one turn around the tiller with both ends of the rope. One end forward, one end aft.
3rd Put the loop over the opposite clete.
4th Pull the rope tight and secure the loose end also to the opposite clete. Adjust rope tension to produce desired tiller tension.
Thats all there is to it.

Kim,
Is your jib on a furler? I believe that with the jib sheets rolled neatly and tightly around the jib it measures at least 3.5 to 4 inches. I was thinking of using the type of PVC pipe that is used to run water from downspouts etc. This is somewhat lighter than the PVC pipe used for plumbing. I would need to investigate how much support it would require because it is a less rigid the the plumbing type.

Art
Regarding the cleats on the transom. Did you install them yourself. I have found it curious that my C14.2 does not have any cleats for docking or anchor. Please describe where they are located and mounted. Do you have any near the bow?

Thanks

Trailering...Transom tie down strap Gelcost cracks

I notice that there are alot of gelcoat cracks in the area on both gunnels where the transom strap would normally be located. The previous owner used a one inch wide strap with an annoying ratchet that you had to fight with to untighten and retighten. The another issue is that becaus of the position the strap would tend to slide to the rear and loosen because the oat is narrower toward the rear. On top of these issues, unless you wrapped the ends around the trailer just right, the ratchet mechanism would bounce around and scratch/chip the gelcoat.

I purchased a 2 inch wide strap (10Ft I think) with nice hooks at either end and a seat belt type latch in the middle. I place a dock fender (4 inch diameter) under each gunnel where the strap would cross. To prevent the strap from working it's way back I ran a bungee cord around the strap and hooked both ends to the Main sheet block support.

The dock fenders help to lessen the angle of the strap running down to the trailer so hopefully the stress on the gunnels will be reduced. The latch is easy to use and becaus it is in the middle, it ends up hanging in the middle of the boat where it cannot damage anything.

After using this for a trip. I noticed that for whatever reason, the latch release some of the strap. I believe that this was caused by the bocing that the latch was subject to while it hung in the middle of the boat. I added a piece of velcor strap to hold the "handle" at this seemd to correct the issue.

Cleats

Art J
My C14 had cleats near both bow and stern when I got it. The cleats are 5 inchs long.
The centers of the cleats are 15" from the bow and 8" from the stern. The holes are drilled to enter the center of the cove where the fiberglas wraps to join the deck to the hull. 3/8" diameter brass rods with two holes drilled through each are positioned in the inside radius of the joint. The screws pass through the rods to distribute the loads. The cleats are secured with stainless steel machine screws and locking nuts. Couldn't have done a better job myself.
Art

Jeager, yes I do have a furler. I roll the jib up tight and then remove the sheet when I take the mast down. It fits in the pipe pretty well, but I agree, if the sheets where on it , it would take a much bigger pipe.

CAUTION! Tiller Tamer

I have read multiple postings stating that the Tiller Tamer is especially handy when sailing solo.
CAUTION,
If sailing singlehanded, falling overboard with the tiller locked will leave you watching your boat sail off unmanned, whereas, had the tiller been free, the boat would merely fall off, enabling you to swim to it relatively easy.
While I have never had this happen, I was taught at an early age that tying off the tiller when flying solo was one of the biggest mistakes one could make, a "Cardinal Sin" so to speak.

Back