adding purchase to old school vang

deeman

Okay - I got a mini Harken block to add to my vang setup for more purchased. I want to make sure my understanding of this drawing is correct. Can you please confirm the ends of these two lines tie to the bottom pin or section of the block? Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• vang.png
    vang.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 103
slip the small bowline loops over the vang tang on the mast, put the block back on and you're done

I have the same set up as illustrated and use a standard vang swivel (APS p/n A6364) on the vang tang on the mast. The way it is designed allows you to tie line to each side of the swivel. For $15 bucks, you can't go wrong. THT

Bungo Pete, I'd sure appreciate seeing a picture of your setup.

Deeman, would appreciate a picture of yours as well when you get it done.
thanks,

you could also do it with one line, see my poor drawing, the second part is how the line runs around the vang swivel

Attachments

• fasff.gif
    fasff.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 88
Couldn't get out this weekend, but will get you a pic the next time. However, I do wish to mention that I tried LaserXD's one line method, it does have one drawback. If you get the vang twisted (which happens to me more than I like) and can't get it untwisted, then it is easy to untie the bowline from one side of the swivel and fix the problem.

you could also do it with one line, see my poor drawing, the second part is how the line runs around the vang swivel

I had my vang set up this way back in the old days. i found that if you threat the rope through the bottom block and over the top of the swivel then back through the block (using the big holes on the side) then twisting was not an issue as the whole assembly could twist freely in the swivel (which is what it needed to do).

I do not have a picture of this unfortunately and as I have a new style vang it is not possible to get one. If i come across a boat with this setup on it I will grab one and post it.

I looked thru the Rooster site and it's a very thorough explanation, but it doesn't give the length of line, or I missed it if it's in there.
When I have a lil time I'm gonna go out and mock it up with a spare line which will give an approximation and I'll post that when I do.
C

For several years now sometimes I use a "tuned" old style vang, instead of the XD-vang.

It is an open rumor, that Robert Scheidt used such (or a similar setup) "oldytyle"-vang at Athens 2004, because he was the opinion to more feel the forces in the sail, without using the XD vang.
I can't confirm he is wrong in that opinion, but of course the "tuned" old style vang has one degree of freedom less, compeared to the XD-vang (it's that chance to move the cleat of the XD-vang horizontaly to the port-side/starboard-side).

Below, I post 2 photos* of my non-xd vang/cunningham setup and one photo* of my Cunningham used together with one of my XD-vangs (*:taken out of a hint of me in GER language, elsewhere at the web).
I wouldn't take a line under a length of 3,50 to 4 meter for that vang and for the length of that Cunningham, I wouldn't take 3,50 meters. Any dyneema rope of diameter 5 millimeter (or 4 millimeter is fine) works fine. Its's a full "class legal" setup.
Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Baumniederholer_1.jpg
    Baumniederholer_1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Cunningham_Baumniederholer_2.jpg
    Cunningham_Baumniederholer_2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Cunningham_4_1_am_Boot_6.jpg
    Cunningham_4_1_am_Boot_6.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 74