Adding Camcleats to an Older Model

SkipperofVaruna

I have an older model laser without camcleats for the mainsheet. I have seen on newer models a camcleat on each side of the cockpit, but the fiberglass work involved is keeping me away from that option unless necessary. Is there any other way I could add in camcleats without major fiberglass work but still complying with class rules? One option I was considering was replacing the mainsheet block with one that has a camcleat mounted on it, but I couldn't determine whether that complied with class rules. Any ideas?

I'd keep away from the ones mounted on the block, because as the angle changes when you sheet in or out, it can get hard to cleat or uncleat.
I guess you could use a swivel base with a cleat on it, but the amount of fiddling about trying to get the angles right would be huge!
All lasers, even the early ones, have small wooden blocks built in just behind the front edge of the cockpit, under each side deck (where you have seen them on other lasers) especially for screwing cleats into.
No fibreglass work required, just drill two pilot holes, squirt some sealant around them, and screw the cleat down. do it again on the other side, give it a few hours to cure, and go sailing! You hardly ever use the cleats anyway, so get the smallest ones you can find. The smallest Ronstan T or C cleat, and the little Harken ones are ideal.

I have an older model laser without camcleats for the mainsheet. I have seen on newer models a camcleat on each side of the cockpit, but the fiberglass work involved is keeping me away from that option unless necessary. Is there any other way I could add in camcleats without major fiberglass work but still complying with class rules? One option I was considering was replacing the mainsheet block with one that has a camcleat mounted on it, but I couldn't determine whether that complied with class rules. Any ideas?

New Lasers don't come with camcleats, and IMHO, can be a bit of a pain (in the ....). Moreover, unless you are sailing casually, using cam cleats isn't good practice (unless you like swimming, but the water temps are not really inviting for such exercises in Maine).

no, swimming in maine is WONDERFUL. i spent 1 hr and 30 mins in the water after a death roll last tues. (dont ask). i just need a free hand occasionally and having a camcleat will help w/ that

I have cleats on my boat, and wouldn't be without them. very useful for those few second when you have to untangle 12 metres of mainsheet, plus the tails from the cunningham etcetera that have all washed into the cockpit, so you can bear away at the top mark!

I also use the old type kicker, so they can be useful when I really want to give it some! (which, lets face it, at my weight isn't very often!!)

I just acquired a 1979 Laser which is equipped with cam cleats so it will be a new experience. The rehabilitation is just about finished and you can find a thread below to see the internal fiberglass repair that was necessary.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6507&highlight=1979+laser

I plan on using them to be able to do a little housework and to be able to change hands in light-to-moderate air.

madyottie:
RE: "I also use the old type kicker, so they can be useful when I really want to give it some! (which, lets face it, at my weight isn't very often!!)"
What exactly is a "kicker" in this context and what is the difference between the old and new style?

SkipperofVaruna:
Are you racing on Tuesdays?

why yes, i will be racing on tuesdays. i was in a 420 last tues. though, the hull was still drying from an unfortunate deathroll a couple weeks ago

I have the exact same problem, i.e. a 2001 laser that does not have any camcleats. However, mine does not have any wooden blocks for mounting them on either. I am reluctant as well to start drilling holes. It seems my only option is a mainsheet block w/camcleat. Is this legal? If so, any recommendations on which one to buy?

Or is my best option to just get very proficient in never cleating the mainsheet?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Doug

The "wood block" is a wooden core built into the deck, instead of the foam core at that location. It's not visible from the surface.

What exactly is a "kicker" in this context and what is the difference between the old and new style?

Its just another name for the Vang. basically the older system had a simple V cleat built in to the bottom block, while the new system has a rotating Camcleat, and loads more purchase.
In my case its 8:1 purchase, I know most people use either 12:1 or 16:1 with the new set. if I cant get enough on it for flat water and heavy wind, I just pull the sheet in block to block, cleat it, then put my foot on the bit of mainsheet between the ratchet block and the boom, push that hard while pulling the vang tight. I can get it so tight that I cant fit under the boom if I really try!

Interestingly Robert S actually suggested he cleats the main during tack transitions momentarily sometimes in a go-fast article/interview.

maybe it was a translation problem, maybe not - has anyone seen him doing it??

Back