Adding a mast cleat

River Time

I have been watching some rigging videos and it seems like having a mast cleat is helpful (my ‘79 did not come with one). I searched the forum and saw a few references to adding them, but I have a few questions:

1) What is the right height to install it from the top of the deck or the bottom of the mast to the center of the cleat?
2) What size cleat and material ( brass, plastic, etc.) do you recommend? Is the replacement deck cleat available online suitable? Sunfish, Black Cleat (3-3/4), 91070
3) I am planning to attach it with stainless steel screws. Any reason why that is a bad idea? Tips/advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I've attached at least ten to masts over the years of all types and all heights. All of them work well. The metal replacements for the deck work well and are probably the most durable however the plastic ones will work as well and I have had no problems with it. Keep in mind that even if you do a bad job on installation, it'll be fine. Water in the mast isn't a problem and you can drain the mast regularly by drilling a small hole in the bottom end cap.

Generally my recommendation would be to attach it high enough to allow you to rec rig the boat with the gooseneck high for casual sailing. Make sure that your cleat is in line with the end cap on the top of the mast so that your halyard comes straight down to the cleat.

Stainless steel shouldn't be a problem if you use the boat in fresh water or rinse the boat/fittings after using in salt water.

Sunfish Class rules say it shouldn't be higher than 48" from the base of the mast. I put mine at that max height - it could easily be a bit lower, I'd agree with wkresic's point above: "attach it high enough to allow you to rec rig the boat with the gooseneck high for casual sailing."

sunfish-rigging-drawing.jpg

I have that exact same part number you referenced on my Sunfish mast - it works very well. I also have a cheaper nylon one on my Minifish that I think is a little too small, so I'd go with the one you linked to. I installed mine with #10 stainless screws and a dab of 3M 4200 behind it to seal it up (caulk would probably work in a pinch).
img0175_106.jpg

cheers,
tag (my2fish)

Remember if it is too high, you won't be able to reach it if you're in waist deep water, raising the sail.

I don't plan on race my Sunfish. So, is it ok to mount the cleat 36 inches from the base of the mast? I was planning on use JB Weld glue and stainless screws.

As long as you don’t want the sail to go any higher than that that seems fine. Also If you have a sail window you don’t want the clear pressing into the plastic.

I chose not to add a cleat but I like the obvious offload of the deck hardware benefit you get by that attachment point, so I tied a free standing haliard hitch with a loop instead to act as my cleat. I run the main haliard down through the loop and back up to truckers set up. Use the tail to then pull the gooseneck down toward the deck to hold the mast in the cup. Coil up the rest and stash it under the taught lines.. Sailed today on my recent 76 project boat first outing using this rig. If i never see another piece of sand paper it will be too soon.. LOL. Im done with this one.
I don't race although I think this setup was just made legal in some racing classes. Experts much better than me can answer that one.

Attachments

• 20210508_163543.jpg
    20210508_163543.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210508_162041.jpg
    20210508_162041.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I chose not to add a cleat but I like the obvious offload of the deck hardware benefit you get by that attachment point, so I tied a free standing haliard hitch with a loop instead to act as my cleat. I run the main haliard down through the loop and back up to truckers set up. Use the tail to then pull the gooseneck down toward the deck to hold the mast in the cup. Coil up the rest and stash it under the taught lines.. Sailed today on my recent 76 project boat first outing using this rig. If i never see another piece of sand paper it will be too soon.. LOL. Im done with this one.
I don't race although I think this setup was just made legal in some racing classes. Experts much better than me can answer that one.
I thought about doing the same set up you have, but I went with the cleat on the mast. Your sailboat looks great!

Thanks Beeler2. I'm glad its over. Lol. Now I can teach the grandkids how to sail. That was the goal.. Thats the original 45 year old sail. Its on its last leg but I tried to preserve it. The tac and 3 more gromets were torn out and 2 holes repaired. I wish the fish was more visible.

Thanks Beeler2. I'm glad its over. Lol. Now I can teach the grandkids how to sail. That was the goal.. Thats the original 45 year old sail. Its on its last leg but I tried to preserve it. The tac and 3 more gromets were torn out and 2 holes repaired. I wish the fish was more visible.
I know what you mean that you want the fish more visible. I have a vinyl cutter and I'm thinking about cutting a stencil of the fish and using black spray paint to make the fish more visible on my sail.

You can buy some adhesive backed insignia cloth and make your own Sunfish logo, it’s pretty easy.
747DAB7B-ADBA-4D1F-AA50-F37DE3234C00.jpeg

Back