Adding a drain plug in transom

PeterS

Hello all-- I have an older model Sunfish to which I'd like to add a transom drain plug (a previous Sunfish I used to sail had one, and I grew to appreciate it).

I have a plug and a drill, and it seems like a very simple add-on. Should I be concerned though about drilling into a support structure? Or is the transom just one unimpeded piece all the way across? I see from diagrams online that there are foam blocks on either side, but these (at least from the diagrams) don't appear to run all the way to the transom.

Thanks for your input!

--Peter

Nothing in the way, go for it. Don't have a exact location but
as low and close to the center of the transom as the rudder mount
allows would be best.

I always install mine on starboard side close to center line as and low as possible. Don't forget that there is about 3/16" laminate thickness in that area so you want to start your hole with that in consideration.

I installed a small rubber/brass transom drain plug designed for bait wells. (And posted of it at this forum).

While it's handy, the very thin material of the transom would have me adding reinforcement, such as a glassed-in brass sleeve. It's difficult to make a clean and round hole, due to shredding. Smoothing the hole with resin will help.

If you're using a plastic drain plug, such as the deck drain plug replacement plug, things should go better. Of course, it should be installed with a sealer.

I always install mine on starboard side close to center line as and low as possible. Don't forget that there is about 3/16" laminate thickness in that area so you want to start your hole with that in consideration.

Hello-- thanks for the tip... As far the laminate goes, is that something that tends to shred or tear during drilling? I have a center-hole punch, so I figured I would use that to create a small recess to allow for cleaner drilling from the start. Thanks again,

Peter

Regular hole saw works like a champ and a $3 bailer plug as well. Hull is about 1/4", which is enough.
0710160837.jpg

Hello-- thanks for the tip... As far the laminate goes, is that something that tends to shred or tear during drilling? I have a center-hole punch, so I figured I would use that to create a small recess to allow for cleaner drilling from the start. Thanks again,

Peter
A center punch wont do much. I'd predrill a very small diameter hole as a starter. A whole saw/bit might drill a cleaner hole, but a sharp drill bit works as well. Chipping isn't a real problem if you are installing a full drain plug assembly,
getimage.php

as it will cover most chipping. If you are really worried about chipping though, a couple techniques to limit chipping include:
  • drilling through masking tape on the hole
  • running the drill/saw bit backwards till it cuts through the gel coat.

As long as you make sure the bottom of the hole is at least 1/2 or so above the "bottom" you'll be OK.

Mike

Reactions: tag
I really like the concept of having a drain plug in the back. It would be much easier to drain and more natural for the boats position.

Mike,
I think I like your approach the best - maybe costs a tad more for a drain plug assembly, but will look much cleaner.

tag

I would just fix the leak.
Once the foam is wet it holds the water and you are only draining the non absorbed water so over a period of time the boat will get heavier.

Hello all-- I have an older model Sunfish to which I'd like to add a transom drain plug (a previous Sunfish I used to sail had one, and I grew to appreciate it).

I have a plug and a drill, and it seems like a very simple add-on. Should I be concerned though about drilling into a support structure? Or is the transom just one unimpeded piece all the way across? I see from diagrams online that there are foam blocks on either side, but these (at least from the diagrams) don't appear to run all the way to the transom.

Thanks for your input!

--Peter
Hi. I’m looking at buying a used Sunfish and i was concerned because it has a hole on the deck in the rear corner of the boat. The owner said it is for draining water from the cockpit. Did older Sunfish come with that?

There is no other way to drain the cockpit other than the factory installed drain. The rear hole in the deck could be used to drain the hull interior, but the hull already has one in the right deck. (Left side in Vikings. both sides in some others).

There is no other way to drain the cockpit other than the factory installed drain. The rear hole in the deck could be used to drain the hull interior, but the hull already has one in the right deck. (Left side in Vikings. both sides in some others).
Where would the factory installed drain for the cockpit be? I know the drain for the hull has a screw in it on the starboard side. Here’s a picture- you can see the silver duct tape that is covering the hole under the sail.

1569868757091.jpeg

The two Minifish that we have seen did not have cockpit bailers, their cockpits are molded different than the Sunfish.

Back