Adapting this aluminum trailer kit

jaredyates

I saw that Northern Tool has started carrying an aluminum trailer kit:
FREE SHIPPING — Ultra-Tow 40in. x 48in. Aluminum Utility Trailer Kit | Trailers| Northern Tool + Equipment
As it is designed, the tongue is too short, but I wonder if it would be suitable for a 'fish if the tongue piece was replaced with one that was much longer. Perhaps it would need a couple of diagonal braces from the front corners to the middle of the tongue, which would also serve to keep me from banging my knees on the corners.

Has anyone tried lengthening a tongue like that?

I lengthened a similar (steel) trailer from Harbor Freight. Replaced the original 5 ft tongue piece with an excessively long channel iron.

Excessively lone meaning... I really didn't need 14 ft for a MiniFish. Trailer lights and back of the frame are at the transom, while its normal to have the lights and back of the trailer frame about 3 to 4 ft forward of that.

My trailer works fine even if the tongue weight is an abnormally high percentage of trailer weight, because its still a mighty light trailer with the boat on it.
Normally recommended is appx 10% of total, loaded trailer weight on the trailer ball.

My channel iron is HEAVY and welded on, so I didn't see a need for angle bracing.
Your choice of material and attachment (probably bolts) will affect what angle bracing is needed if any.

Thanks, when I look at the price difference between the aluminum kit and steel kit, it seems like the aluminum is likely not worth the $140 premium. Do you typically submerge your wheels, or just back it up to the water and slide the boat off?

No point submerging for the 85 lb MiniFish... saved me from needing to spend the extra on a submersible light set too.

Thanks, when I look at the price difference between the aluminum kit and steel kit, it seems like the aluminum is likely not worth the $140 premium. Do you typically submerge your wheels, or just back it up to the water and slide the boat off?
While the aluminum trailer has good 12" wheels, the manufacturer notes they doesn't offer an extended tongue option (on the same page). I think that's wise, because aluminum doesn't take kindly to flexing. :oops: While it could be done, I'd put an internal tube inside to prevent a catastrophic break. :(

And while aluminum doesn't "rust", it can corrode, so that benefit is really one of cosmetics.

Reading elsewhere on this subject, one poster wrote that he bought the Harbor Freight trailer, and added coil springs. Those springs would give a smoother ride in comparison to the leaf springs of the HB trailer. 'Thinking that the HB trailers were over-sprung for Sunfish, I think this home-engineer has done his little HB trailer "right"—and that's where the extra funds should go. IMO.

The Part-2 video shows the finished project—the link below is Part-1.

Back