Acquired Sunfish knockoff

seastream

All:

I recently acquired a Viking (year 1972?) HIN # XEC02681473 Sunfish knockoff. It seems reasonably complete, but to be sure I've been surfing about for a parts listing (with pix) with no luck. Can anyone on list provide me with or point me towards a site with such info? This boat seems ideal for weekday evening sails at some waters nearby me (under 10 miles) in NH. Just trailer her there, launch and go!

Thanks, Bob

I recently acquired a Viking (year 1972?) HIN # XEC02681473 Sunfish knockoff. It seems reasonably complete, but to be sure I've been surfing about for a parts listing (with pix) with no luck.
HIN # XEC02681473

XEC ... OUTLAW MARINE INC (previously ABD)
02681 ... production number (coding, if any, not known to me)
4 ... month produced
73 ... model year

During it's brief production history the company was also Intl. Fiberglass Co., Inc. dba International Boat Co., Inc.

The company had a sordid history including loosing a lawsuit to AMF (Sunfish builder at the time) over the boat's original name, "Funfish", and a marketing campaign that was alleged to intentionally confuse the two boats in consumer's eyes.

In design, it's about the closest copy anyone marketed in the day. Rumored to have had its mold made directly off a Sunfish. I can't speak to the quality of construction, having never worked on one.

The boat has been out of production / out of business nearly 30 years. I've never come across a manual or parts list. If you dig something up, I'd like to get a copy. Very doubtful there are any OEM parts out there unless someone is parting out another boat.

Blueprint the parts you have if you want to stay with the original design, in the event a replacement is needed. Sunfish parts should work for all but the rudder hardware. Rudder attachments are usually unique to each manufacturer. The Sunfish manual will apply for a majority of the setup for this boat as well, with a little creative adaptation where things aren't exactly the same.

Back