Acme Tillers

radialsailor

Been meaning to buy a new tiller for around a season now, and with the holidays around the corner it was a great thing to ask for. Anyone know whats going on with these tillers? Everyone is saying they're not being made anymore. Real shame. Never heard anything negative about them.

Found the: The "Raptor" Laser® Carbon Tiller & Extension on the APS website. Anyone have a go with it? Any problems? Can't find any reviews about it online. Would really appreciate opinions on which low profile tiller you prefer.

Cheers

I don't know about the Raptor, but I've had my Acme tiller and extension for over ten years. Other than having to replace the universal joint, I have had no problems with them. A very good product in my opinion.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is Acme was a small operation run in somebody's garage. The owner may have moved on to other things.

I got one of the Raptor tiller and hiking stick from APS before the sales staff knew who made them. They were out of the ACME's at that time. Works great. I would think you could stand on it without deflecting it , it is so strong .
I am 5'2" so I did cut 2" off the hiking stick. The only time I missed that was in drifter conditions sitting close to the mast.

If I lost it , I would most likely buy it again, no real reason to change it. I did loose it once and was sick about it. Found it in the cockpit the next time I took the cover off the boat. Feel better now and put my name on it!!

Interesting; I was trying to get a carbon tiller from APS in October but they didn't have the Acme version. Got the WinDesign one instead.

I have both the Acme and the Far East from Intensity Sails. No difference between the two other than the price.

There is no difference when sailing with them. Same profile/shape. I've had my Acme for around 15 years and can say that shows how well it's made. I've only had the Far East one for 6 months (for 2nd boat) and have not had any problems at all.

While a excellent product and definitely a field pioneer, the Acme carbon tillers are certainly not unique these days. There certainly appears to be a variety of similar products on the market, which may say something about the brand's future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been meaning to buy a new tiller for around a season now, and with the holidays around the corner it was a great thing to ask for. Anyone know whats going on with these tillers? Everyone is saying they're not being made anymore. Real shame. Never heard anything negative about them.

Found the: The "Raptor" Laser® Carbon Tiller & Extension on the APS website. Anyone have a go with it? Any problems? Can't find any reviews about it online. Would really appreciate opinions on which low profile tiller you prefer.

Cheers
Hi there.
We have been testing a new tiller and extension. They are a significant improvement over the acme black/ fatso jr design. They are the same size with better universals, better carbon, more strength, etc. Email us if you want to know more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with APS and they've been on backorder since January with over 40 Black Diamonds on the wait list, I was really looking forward to it for Christmas but it may appear that they've stopped making them. Looks like I'll just get the Raptor cause according to the APS guy it's a much better buy. Ill post a review once I get out on the water with it. One improvement I was told they made is that the tiller extension is round instead of oval like the Fatso.

So its confirmed, ACME has stopped production, it's unknown when or if they will start making their great tillers and extensions again but i have a season ahead of me so no time for waiting, Raptor it is!

So its confirmed, ACME has stopped production, it's unknown when or if they will start making their great tillers and extensions again but i have a season ahead of me so no time for waiting, Raptor it is!

I can tell you for a fact, that the new tillers we have been testing are far better than the raptor. Like I said, if you're coming to Orange Bowl, or you know someone who is, you should compare. Both Raptor and the one we're testing will be there. ZoumUSA will be on the lawn at CRYC.

To update I have been emailing http://www.westcoastsailing.net/ and they have given confirmation that the acme tillers & extensions have restarted production. They claim that they have been given exclusive rights to being the first store to sell them for a few weeks (which i doubt). Really exciting news if you ask me

Back