Accommodation for Halifax Masters Worlds

Sailaway

Hi, does anyone here know of any affordable accommodation close to the sailing club for the Masters Worlds.

I have looked on google maps etc and it would appear that there is a huge amount of vacant land adjacent to the sailing club. Would it be possible to camp there like people used to do years ago before this whole must stay in a Holiday Inn thing took over.

It would be an even better regatta if people could just camp and have a good time close to the venue.

I was really looking forward to going but the price of either staying in the city hotel the organizers would prefer you to stay at is just money down the drain and the number of houses close by that are still available to rent is ridiculously low.

I am sure the bay is a really great place to sail but it would appear finding somewhere walking distance to the club is an almost impossible task at this point.

I am very tempted to just turn up minus my wife and with sleeping bag under one arm and just crash every night wherever I like.

Yeah I am cheap but why should we pay huge amounts of money to just sail somewhere for a few days.
Maybe for the GM's and GGM's who paid stupidly low prices for their properties and are now able to use all their home equity to fund trips to the worlds it is no problem staying in 4 star city hotels and getting bussed in everyday but what happened to the old days of sailing where people were more laid back and just hung out at the venue, some even sleeping in their cars just to enjoy some good sailing and good company. Anyway that is a topic for another day.

So camping at the venue or walking distance away, possible or never going to happen?

Thanks.

Me too ...I'll camp given the chance. The weather there is perfect for camping.

I can't blame the lack of camping on the change in Laser sailors though...I remember well the days when KOA was almost everywhere and local ma and pa campgrounds were way better or way worse and you ahd to know which ones to try.

But campgrounds used to be everywhere and all it took to hit a weekend regatta was gas money and the nominal entry fee.

While I have campers attention....

The Austin Yacht Club has 38 acres and welcomes campers. The camping at Easter time is always comfortable.

We feed you all weekend too. , There are still cheap affordable regattas and our 26th event and 25th anniversary regatta is just a few months off.

Back