accepting sympathy now

Merrily

Administrator
i've ruined a couple of months of good sailing weather. i was taking a motorcycle safe rider course, and apparently did something unsafe. i have a broken collarbone. :( ow!!

I take it you didn't pass :)D - they say laughter is the best medicine)

Hope you heal quickly

i've ruined a couple of months of good sailing weather. i was taking a motorcycle safe rider course, and apparently did something unsafe. i have a broken collarbone. :( ow!!
Allright, you get mine, but only because I've done both sides ... twice. :( ow is right.

So how's the bike, did it fair any better..., or you haven't wanted to look. :eek:

nope, didn't pass. even the ER doctor was a smart ass. the bike belonged to the course, and i was in no shape to look at it. i think my shoulder took the brunt of it and expect the bike is ok.

how long did it take you to heal, wayne? mine is broken through with bones sliding past each other and some little bits too. love that grinding feel and sound if i move it wrong.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope you are a good 'healer' as far as bones is concerned, and that you will be sailing before too long.

VERY sorry to hear about your injury. I wrecked a motorcycle last year - the car behind me hit the one in front of me, and I avoided the collision and lost the bike on the center divide. For the record, 0 to 70 was much easier than 70 to 0. Thankfully, no bones broken and I was able to replace it and ride again within 2 months.

I can only imagine your frustration though. I hope they are keeping you comfortable. Try and relax and don't rush the healing process. Don't try and do anything before your body is ready for it.

Meanwhile, I'm sure your club would *love* help with Race Committee duty.

Having a collarbone that made a valiant attempt to secede from my body, and separating both shoulders simultaneously, I feel your pain.
At least your accident was really on a motorcycle. I crashed by bike (the kind with pedals and really skinny wheels), and was taken away in an ambulance. Somebody wrote "bike accident" on a form, which the hospital checked off in their system as "motorcycle accident". As I was being discharged, the clerk insisted on getting my auto insurance information, because according to their computer, I was in a motorcycle accident. For about 10 minutes, I stood there with my styrofoam bike helmet in my hand, funny biking shoes and bright yellow biking clothes, arguing my case. She insisted that the computer was right, and that I, the victim and my wife, the eyewitness, were wrong, and wouldn't complete the paperwork without my auto insurance and motorcycle registration. Luckily the EMT who brought me in saw me arguing with her and told her that it was indeed a bicycle, otherwise I think that I'd still be fighting that one.

Having a collarbone that made a valiant attempt to secede from my body, and separating both shoulders simultaneously, I feel your pain.
At least your accident was really on a motorcycle. I crashed by bike (the kind with pedals and really skinny wheels), and was taken away in an ambulance.

Ow! Ow! Ow! Sounds like you had more than my pain. My ambulance guys were concerned that the ER people would hear motorcycle accident and put me in trauma, apparently a very ugly place for which I did not qualify. So they called ahead and said that the motorcycle that I was on was standing still when I fell. :D Actually, I was taking the braking test (not breaking) after 10 hours of on bike instruction. You ride along a straight course, get into second gear, pass some cue cones, and brake in as short a distance as you can. My instructor told me (as he was supporting me in a sitting position and not letting anyone take my helmet off for fear of a neck/ head injury) that I was going too fast, and then my front wheel was turned slightly as I braked. Anyway, I was probably going around 15 mph when I laid the bike down and slammed my body shoulder first into the ground. I remember nothing between the skid and the impact; it happened so fast. Never lost consciousness. Head bounced; thank you, helmet.

After 24 days, I'm out of the sling! The bones have lined up and are healing fast. Yay, vegan diet. :D

After 24 days, I'm out of the sling! The bones have lined up and are healing fast. Yay, vegan diet. :D
I'm very glad to hear you're all lined up. Be nice to it for a few weeks longer. No trapeze work where you could get tossed into a mast. :rolleyes:

I did see you chose not ride Tour de France this year. Did you happen to see where one rider got his broken in three places. Yikes :eek:

;)

You are in good company now that the Tour has started.. Have you seen some of those crashes ?

You think you're kidding. Thanks for the reminder. :eek:

Just a friendly nudge... As you know, I've a little experience so I know the temptation to get right back to a full activity level.

You are in good company now that the Tour has started.. Have you seen some of those crashes ?
In the Eddy Merckx days they rode cobbles on several stages even criterium. A sprint finish over cobbles is quite a sight. Then again, in the history of cycling, paved roads didn't always exist either.

My sports surgeon told me the three most common causes of collar bone injury are falls from a Horse, Motorcycle, and Bicycle..., all most likely in an identical manner of trying to break the fall.

I can definately understand how you feel. I've almost broke mine many times while TaeKwonDo fighting. Infact, I even did my white sail I/II with a knee injury but that's a different story really. Not that I recommend sailing while injured though. Because now I can't even walk very well and I've had to delay starting my summer job for I don't know how long.

For the first time in 7 weeks, I got to go sailing today! I crewed on a Lido 14, as I didn't quite feel up to single handing yet. Woo hoo!

Back