Absence launching ramp, help please?!

Johanna

Laser 4.7/Radial
Hi,

Next week i'll be going on a holiday to frisia, the Netherlands. There are a lot of nice places to sail with our laser but there's 1 problem. There isn't a launching ramp very near by the cottage at where we're staying. The cottage is next to the water and difference in height is around 30 centimetres. Now i was wondering if anyone has any experience with launching a laser from the trolley in to the water without a ramp. (if this is possible). Or maybe anyone else has another idea?

Thank you in advance!

Johanna

• Just wheel the trolley to the edge and let the wheels drop off the edge.
  • Lift the bow up, so that the transom is floating in the water and so the boat is no long resting firmly on the trolley
  • Walk the boat backwards, until your clear of the trolley, (depending on your trolley design you can slide the boat to some extent if you wish).
  • Recovery is basically the same, but someone may need to hop back into the water, to get the trolley wheels over the edge.

Thank you for answering my question! I really appreciate it. Now I don't have to worry how to get my laser into the water (and out) :D.

Nice guide! Was looking at page 62 and saw that vertical rack system, never seen one before but can imagine it going horribly wrong with only one person bringing it down
Believe me, it isn't a problem to control the boat. I've taken the first Laser course at UCLA, and each of us rigged our own boat. The wheels on that stern dolly (skateboard!) are very tacky and grip the asphalt very well. If you first place the Seitech dolly correctly, the hull comes to rest on the strap just at the right time to lift the skateboard up. Storing the Lasers this way makes for a compact storage area and ensures that the boat is dry and ready for the next day (just remember to replace the drain plug!).

Launching using that method at the dock really is easy, especially if you angle the rudder to downwind side -- the Laser just backs out downwind and sits there waiting for you to pull it over to the dock loop to secure it while rigging the rest of the lines and equipment.

BTW, I'd say never drop the wheels of the Seitech dolly off the dock (as Alan D above stated). This would be dangerous and cost lots of effort too.

Back