A Slight Problem

Gfinch

So, I went sailing today as usual, but my boat now has a little problem:

47091_439720385746_816290746_5059211_5822960_n.jpg

46633_439578550746_816290746_5054788_3193166_n.jpg

Clearly not something I can fix, although I could use the broken top mast for a spare boom?

oh dear.... I can see that the rivet is facing forward which means when there is any pressure on the mast (such as mast bend - usually while luffing onto a beat) then it will snap. And yes you can use the top section as a spare boom because they are the same thickness and it should still be long enough.

I did that last weekend too! According to guys on shore the peak gust during the race was 37knots! Whether I was sailing in that gust ( or on tow, or back on shore) it was very very windy. (Think we had about 4 snapped masts at my club, various types of boat)

Most annoying thing about the break - it happened at the end of the first beat so I did all the hard work slogging upwind in that breeze and didn't get the run ride back downwind that I'd been looking forward to. I was winning too!.

Bit more than a slight problem there GFinch!

That reminds me I really must end for end mine bfore it snaps....

The rivet facing forwards might not be the issue as this might be an older top section which may have had 2 or 3 rivets in it. I am baffled as to why LP have not come up with a better system for the top section.

It wasn't even that windy! I just tacked and bang! I had been out last week in much stronger winds, clearly weakening it. I just bought a brand new rooster sail, so lucky that I didn't put that on yesterday! I still managed to do the 2nd race, borrowing a top section and a top batten, as mine fell out during the mast snap and its gone.

I've snapped a couple of masts in a similar place as well (with the rivet facing backwards) it usually goes though when I get a huge gust, bear away and hike out. Fortunately for me it only ripped the sail once and it was a very old sail that I was going to throw out anyway. I've also snapped a bottom section at deck level and a boom and mid block level. :rolleyes:

Thankfully they don't snap too often. I've been sailing lasers since '96/97 and have only snapped 2 top sections in that time.

First time I'd borrowed a brand new replica sail from my husband (full rig) as it was a really calm day. I managed to find an area of wind and was practicing roll tacks - bang mast snapped. Hubby was suprisingly calm seeing that I had ripped his new sail on its first outing.

Second time was last weekend. Very strong winds, radial rig. Beating upwind and it just went on the approach to the first mark.

I've broken more bottom sections (and my current 'good' one is bent annoyingly) but I think thats a radial thing.

I have never managed to break a top section yet (I am surprised given the winds I have sailed in).

I have done a boom though, just after a gybe in F5-F6. I was soo chuffed I landed the gybe then there was a bang and I was swimming. I only realise what happened when I got on the board and saw part of the boom through the bottom panel of the sail...

I've broken more bottom sections (and my current 'good' one is bent annoyingly) but I think thats a radial thing.

I've not used my own radial rig much (so this might be completely wrong) but I always seem to end us using far more kicker with the radial (even in lighter winds) mainly because the sail seems to be a real bag close to the mast. Maybe I am wrong doing this but could this contribute to the breaking radial bottom sections (plus the section is said to be thinner as well).

Ian

I've not used my own radial rig much (so this might be completely wrong) but I always seem to end us using far more kicker with the radial (even in lighter winds) mainly because the sail seems to be a real bag close to the mast. Maybe I am wrong doing this but could this contribute to the breaking radial bottom sections (plus the section is said to be thinner as well).

Ian

I've not used a full rig enough to have a proper comparison really.

Did a season of evening races in a full rig (tiny tiny inland lake - Haversham for those that might know it - where the water was sheltered) but otherwise I just about always sail radial. Very occasionally borrow a full rig or Rooster 8.1.

Back