A question about 1979 Sunfish tiller...

trist007

The nut that hinges the wooden tiller extension to the tiller came off while I was sailing and is lost under the lake. I went to Home Depot and it looks like the threading on the screw is standard instead of metric. Anybody know the measurements and where I could purchase the standard nut? Also, I would like a rubber cap to put over the nut so that if I fall over the top end of the screw won't scratch me like it did today.

I am also thinking about getting the new tiller extension from Intensity Sails

hxxp://www.intensitysails.com/ro49cafitiex.html

Or which tiller extension do you guys prefer? My reason for a new tiller extension is when I'm hiking out, the standard wooden tiller extension isn't long enough. If I did go with a new extension would I even need the screw and nut?

-Tristan

Go with a universal hiking stick like Ronstan Battlestick or similar, 33-36 inches. You will like it.

Or back to Home Depot with the screw. Maybe you picked up the wrong thread pattern. They usually have a measuring device that tells you what thread pattern the nut or screw is. It is standard, either 24 or 32 threads per inch. Buy a proper size stop nut with plastic insert.

Or buy from a Sunfish parts house:
http://www.apsltd.com/c-2387-sunfish-ruddertilleranddaggerboard.aspx

Agreed that a universal with an appropriately sized extension is SO much nicer.
Make sure that the extension and universal are compatible.

I broke my tiller extension sailing in high winds (45 mph gusts). I replaced it with a 30" battlestick and love it. its longer than the tiller extension but I like the fact that it moves much easier with the rubber swivel thing rather than a simple bolt. I epoxied the old hole and screwed the battlestick to the tiller.

I sailed a vintage 'fish with wood tiller for a few seasons...my new 'fish came with Harken alloy tiller/swivel/extension and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the wood (especially the swivel action!). I highly recommend ditching the tiller extension bolt-thru design for a universal swivel style. you will not regret the investment, I promise.

And, for those times when the extension isn't needed (or for storage purposes), a clip can be made from PVC pipe to hold the extension to the tiller.
Tiller extension saddle 2.jpg Tiller & extension 1.jpg

Reactions: tag

Back