A new Capri 14.2 owner

Wentwest

I have been looking for a used Capri 14.2 for a few months now, and today I won an eBay auction for a 2010 Capri 14.2.

I'm thrilled, and look forward to picking up the boat this weekend, and getting to work on getting her back to 100%. I know I will need a new jib for sure, and I am guessing various lines and possibly rigging will need to be replaced. My first priority is getting a good trailer by the weekend.

I am sure I will have endless questions over the next many months, but the first one is whether or not anyone has a PDF of an owner's manual they might be able to send me. I need to learn how to take the mast down for trailering. I'm guessing it's easily accomplished with two people, and possibly even doable by myself. If anyone is able to tell me the basic procedure, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all on the forum!

Thanks,
Anthony

I collected a few older ones. The UCLA sailing manual is the newest. I'd be happy to email you an '86 and '02.

Attachments

• UCLACaprimanual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
I raise my mast solo every time I sail (I'm 68 years old). Here's how: I replaced my main halyard with one long enough to reach from the foot of the mast all the way up the mast, through the masthead, then back down to a point on the support on the trailer that holds the mast while trailering. Now I attach the bitter end of the main halyard (the end that will be attached to the head of the mainsail when raising the sail) to the support on the trailer that supports the mast while trailering and tie it off. Next I attach the shrouds on both sides of the boat, and also attach the head stay (or roller furling sail) to its attachment point on the mast. Next climb aboard and slide the mast back far enough to attach it to the cabin top and attach it using the pin, washer and clip. Once all that is done I move to about the middle of the mast and start raising it. It is important at this point to make sure the mast goes straight up, not letting it go to either side, until the mast is fully up. I then take the other end of the main halyard, pull it tight, and tie it off on one of the cleats at the bottom of the mast. At this point the mast has three attachment points and is free standing. I then climb off the boat and attach the bottom of the head stay to the front of the boat using a quick release pin. At this point I check that the mast is in fact supported in three places (two shrouds and the forstay) and if it is, the main halyard can now be untied from the trailer mast support and be brought back to the foot of the mast until I'm ready to attach the mail sail. Make sure you fully understand these instructions and that I have not left anything out. This has worked for me for a number of years, feel free to contact me direct at [email protected], if you need any more advice.

I raise my mast solo every time I sail (I'm 68 years old). Here's how: I replaced my main halyard with one long enough to reach from the foot of the mast all the way up the mast, through the masthead, then back down to a point on the support on the trailer that holds the mast while trailering. Now I attach the bitter end of the main halyard (the end that will be attached to the head of the mainsail when raising the sail) to the support on the trailer that supports the mast while trailering and tie it off. Next I attach the shrouds on both sides of the boat, and also attach the head stay (or roller furling sail) to its attachment point on the mast. Next climb aboard and slide the mast back far enough to attach it to the cabin top and attach it using the pin, washer and clip. Once all that is done I move to about the middle of the mast and start raising it. It is important at this point to make sure the mast goes straight up, not letting it go to either side, until the mast is fully up. I then take the other end of the main halyard, pull it tight, and tie it off on one of the cleats at the bottom of the mast. At this point the mast has three attachment points and is free standing. I then climb off the boat and attach the bottom of the head stay to the front of the boat using a quick release pin. At this point I check that the mast is in fact supported in three places (two shrouds and the forstay) and if it is, the main halyard can now be untied from the trailer mast support and be brought back to the foot of the mast until I'm ready to attach the mail sail. Make sure you fully understand these instructions and that I have not left anything out. This has worked for me for a number of years, feel free to contact me direct at [email protected], if you need any more advice.

Greg, thank you for the detailed instructions on raising the mast solo. I think I understand the process by your very thorough description. If I have any questions, I will get in touch. Fortunately, I have my wife with me the first time, so I have another set of hands, which should help to get familiar with the process. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post and taking the time to write out the instructions. If you are anywhere near Los Angeles, or ever plan to visit, the drinks are on me!

I live in Oxnard. And sail in Ventura and Channel Islands Harbors.Where are you?
I live in Pasadena. The Capri I bought is currently in Channel Islands Harbor. I will probably keep it at a marina in either Marina Del Rey or possibly Cabrillo. I'm heading up to Channel Islands Harbor today.

I live 4 miles from Channel Islands Harbor and could meet you at your new boat today. I could look it over and perhaps give you some advice on what might need replacing, we could even raise the mast. Call me at eight 0 five 607-5190. Greg

I live 4 miles from Channel Islands Harbor and could meet you at your new boat today. I could look it over and perhaps give you some advice on what might need replacing, we could even raise the mast. Call me at eight 0 five 607-5190. Greg
Greg, I actually picked up the boat yesterday (Saturday). I would have loved to have met up with you. This week was a busy one for me at work (we were actually shooting on an 85 foot auxiliary ketch for several days out of San Pedro), so I didn't have a lot of time to plan out and organize getting the boat. Hopefully we can meet up another time for a sail, Greg. Maybe we'll trailer back up to Channel Islands in the Spring or Summer sometime for a day of sailing.

I borrowed a trailer from a friend, to get her back down to LA. I plan to put her in my backyard for several month this Winter while I get new rigging and a few other things sorted. Then, in the Spring, I will probably move her to either Marina Del Rey or San Pedro for mast up storage at a marina. Taking the mast down was easy, thanks to your description, and also reading one of the manuals sent to me by Doug, above. The rigging is pretty simple, being such a small boat, and with my wife's help it was no problem at all.

We decided to name her "Pixie," after our favorite goat at a friend's goat dairy ranch. ;)

Anyway, my wife and I are looking forward to sailing her in a couple of months when I get everything sorted. She's in great condition, so really, there's very little to do. Getting a trailer and a new Jib are the priorities, followed by new rigging. I have a new jib and a mainsail worked out thanks to Fred on this site, who posted in the classified section.

You'll be seeing a lot of me around this forum, I am sure, as questions arise over the next many months. I will try to post some pictures of Pixie tonight.

Reading another thread on Hull # identification, since my HIN # is: CPSD5400E910

I believe that means my hull is # 5400, and was built in May of 2009, and is a 2010 year model.

The condition she was in when I picked her up:

Pixie_1.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

On a temporary (much too large) trailer I borrowed to bring her back down to MDR:

IMG_4475.jpg

We decided to name her "Pixie," after our favorite goat at a friend's goat dairy ranch. ;)

Just a funny update... my friends who own the goat dairy ranch told me that their goat, Pixie, was bred yesterday, and after learning of our decision to name our boat after her, they are going to name Pixie's kid "Dinghy."

Anthony,
Thank you for posting the detailed pictures of your boat. I just got this one in Oct. and it is my first sailboat. 1985 Catalina Capri 14.2 sailboat for sale in Virginia I liked seeing that the newer models have not changed that much from my older one.
I was wondering if you have looked into the mast floatation devices that have been discussed on this forum. These prevent your boat from "turtling" completely over and upside down should you ever get blown over. I have purchased the "Baby Bob" and have rigged a very simple and clean looking gig to the top of my mast for mounting it (it was designed for other boats and the bracket it comes with will not work on a Capri) Others have rigged various metal brackets they have made that bolt to the side placing the float off center and have posted about them on this forum.
Mine is made of oak and fits directly to the top of the Capri mast dead center. I have written complete instructions for making and installing the gig complete with photo's of the steps. I do not have the knowledge or an up to date computer for posting pictures on this site, but if you would like, send me an e-mail and I will send back to you the pictures and instructions for my design. Then perhaps you could post what I send to you on this site and share it with others. send to [email protected] I at least know how to attach pictures to an e-mail.
Tom

Tom, I just sent you an email. I'd be happy to post your photos for you. Thanks for sharing how you rigged yours up.

Doug, that's an interesting float "sleeve." I haven't seen that before. I wonder who makes that, and if there's any significant loss of performance since it looks like it probably disrupts the air flow over the very top portion of the main. I'm guessing it's negligible, though. Looking at it a 2nd time, it looks like it has a pretty small "footprint."

I'll ask the marina manager about the float details next time I'm over there. You're correct in that it's smaller than you think. I always forget it's up there until it's 'needed.'

Guys, I have been meaning to write and mention that Anthony received the photo's and plans for my gig to attach the Baby Bob to a Capri 14.2 mast, and that they have been posted. They are posted, however, in the "Expo Turtling" thread in this forum. I would like your opinions on my idea. Thanks.

Tom

Back