A mystery six digit number under bow eye

Im not sure how old my boat is can anybody tell me how old they reckon it is.

Attachments

• laser sailboat.jpg
    laser sailboat.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 93
You need to post the code that is on the stern.
Alternatively, there may be a Laser sticker attached to the rear of the cockpit which discloses the sail number.

Unless your boat is 'incredibly' old...

If they are on the stern, they are imprinted in the gel coat. Also, look under the bow eye. There may be a number printed there.

That is very odd. I thought only the boats made in the first two years, early 70's, had the number under the bow eye. That would be four digits. Plus, your number sounds like a sail number. The rest of us have a HIN, hull identification number, that is coded.

It was my friend who told me this so it might not be threw as he doesn't no much about boats and might be looking in the wrong spot or wrong boat for that matter. The boat is over an hour away from where I am at the moment so I can confirm this on Saturday.

Under the bow eye there is a 137089
If you live there where you describe (Ireland), it is the sail number what you see under the bow eye. It is built in 1989 as far as we know of TLF's notations. Then, your boat was built by Performance Sailcraft Europe (PSE) that now operates under the name LaserPerformance Ltd. In those times your boat was built, PSE probably also was building Laser at Ireland (not in our times, now), I remind a bit. At in Europe built Laser, the so called Hull Identification Number (HIN, at the port side or starboard side of the transom) significant came later than 1989 ( ~ in the mid of the 1990 decade). That's a big difference to Laser dinghies built on the american continent.

137089 will be your sail number. Not all boat produced in that era had a hull number marked in the gelcoat. I know mine certainly does not have anything like that and it is of a similar vintage.

Boat looks to be in good shape, you could do with a kicker upgrade though ;)

im upgrading the kicker and outhaul and downhaul in the next few months so it will be good for racing. if the sail number is 137089 does that mean the boat is from 1989 i found a webpage that tells you your lasers age with the sail number.

... if the sail number is 137089 does that mean the boat is from 1989 ...
Correct.

What was the difference between the boat made by PSE and the boat made in America in the 1990s

F.e.: US Boats : better quality in reason the used better ingredients

F.e.: PSE boats: The sail was made better.

From theso called ILCA class rules and the opinion of the licensed Laser boat builders: "All Laser sailing dinghies (worldwide) are equal". But if you'd take the time and search intensive here at TLF, you will find that a lot of forums members have the opinion: "All Laser sailing dinghies (worldwide) aren't equal totally..."

Ok so I have just been down at my boat and as I suspected my friend go it wrong and the number is 70839 which would suggest that the boat is actually a 1980s boat. Would this be okay for around 3 months of casual racing maybe racing once a week. Will I need any work to do. The mast step is fully watertight. The boat is fully watertight if I duck tape the self bailer as the bushing between the hull and cockpit is missing.

Correct.

F.e.: US Boats : better quality in reason the used better ingredients

F.e.: PSE boats: The sail was made better.

From theso called ILCA class rules and the opinion of the licensed Laser boat builders: "All Laser sailing dinghies (worldwide) are equal". But if you'd take the time and search intensive here at TLF, you will find that a lot of forums members have the opinion: "All Laser sailing dinghies (worldwide) aren't equal totally..."
;) The tight tolerances inscribed in the famous (but highly confidential) Laser Construction Manual ensure that all Lasers are identical worldwide...

And world peace is just around the corner.

Ok so I have just been down at my boat and as I suspected my friend go it wrong and the number is 70839 which would suggest that the boat is actually a 1980s boat. Would this be okay for around 3 months of casual racing maybe racing once a week. Will I need any work to do. The mast step is fully watertight. The boat is fully watertight if I duck tape the self bailer as the bushing between the hull and cockpit is missing.

Should be fine. For the amount of time it takes though you may want to put a hatch in the foredeck and reinforce the step a little.

what would be the best way to reinforce the maststep i already have a port to access the mast step. nothing to complicated hopefully as were i live there wont be much boat supplies.

what would be the best way to reinforce the maststep i already have a port to access the mast step. nothing to complicated hopefully as were i live there wont be much boat supplies.
Since you have a port, please take a picture (or two) of the mast base (and tube) and post it over here so that the Forum pros can advise you.

if there is already a port you may find the step has already been inforced.

All you need is either some glass chopped strand mat or woven glass tape and some resin and catalyst.

Most car accessory shops will do a suitable kit but if you can get to a chandler then they are likely to be a lot cheaper.

That should do the trick but it may not have enough matting in it so go for a bigger kit if you can.

I'm getting the larger kit tomorrow I'll put up some pics before and after hopefully. Where do you but the fibreglass around the donut or just cover the hole bottom section of the mast step including the donut?

Back