A Greeting and a Question.

SwitchbladeOne

Hello all,
As I'm new 'round these parts I thought I should say hello and introduce myself before I ask my question.

I'm Jim, used to sail dinghy's when I was young, CL Echo, Albacore, 420, Hobie 18 and, Optimists. I spent a bit of time on Lasers and really loved them however I moved into larger boats for longer distance and comfort. Over the last some years however I have been landlocked and thus unable to go out and run with the wind (as it were).
This has all changed and am back in the Great Lakes and lookin' for fun.

I have been strongly considering Grabbing a Laser but my umm... mass has increase some since I was younger and now clock in at 215lbs.
Would a Laser with an Arc rig accommodate this or should I be looking for something more like a Vago (Which I have also been strongly considering though it has been at least 17 years since I have been on trap) or even possibly a laser just with a different rig I may not be aware of?

Thank you in advance,
Jim

Hello all,
As I'm new 'round these parts I thought I should say hello and introduce myself before I ask my question.

I'm Jim, used to sail dinghy's when I was young, CL Echo, Albacore, 420, Hobie 18 and, Optimists. I spent a bit of time on Lasers and really loved them however I moved into larger boats for longer distance and comfort. Over the last some years however I have been landlocked and thus unable to go out and run with the wind (as it were).
This has all changed and am back in the Great Lakes and lookin' for fun.

I have been strongly considering Grabbing a Laser but my umm... mass has increase some since I was younger and now clock in at 215lbs.
Would a Laser with an Arc rig accommodate this or should I be looking for something more like a Vago (Which I have also been strongly considering though it has been at least 17 years since I have been on trap) or even possibly a laser just with a different rig I may not be aware of?

Thank you in advance,
Jim
You should be fine in a laser full rig. And you’ll definitely get in shape the more you sail the boat. Have fun!

If you're lust sailing you'll be fine in the standard rig and hiking in 12+ breeze. If you're racing and want to be decent competitive you'll need to be down to 205. At that weight you're still fast in light 5knots and under as well as heavier 12knots+. It's the mid-range that the 190 pounders, (and less) will give you a fit. I'm a 205'er myself.

I copy the increase in mass with age... but sailing a Laser and hiking out all day will make ya BULLETPROOF, LOL. :eek:

I'm back to the Championship Game with the Tigers, don'tcha know??? CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Just gotta go easy at first to avoid hernia action, muscle tears, discomfort while pounding beers, etc. ;)

Learning how to p!ss in a bailer and dump it down to leeward helps, otherwise you're pullin' the "artillery spotter" number as ya aim for the far quarter... :eek:

Back