A Good Deal

norcalsail

About a week ago, I was on the Facebook marketplace and found these three items all for only $100. Of course, I had to show them off! Also, sometime last fall, I bought this aluminum rudder cheek for about $72 shipped to me. We don't have a plethora of Sunfish parts locally. For the three items, I had to travel to Sacramento which took about four and a half hours round trip. The parts came from a guy whose Dad raced Sunfish a while back and the dad made the daggerboard himself. The rudder without the cheek has a crack down from the top that has a slight amount of play, so I am going to try to fix it some way. My friend Andy might be able to advise me on that. The daggerboard and rudder will go to Wisconsin for the Oldfish next summer. This will allow me to work on the old daggerboard and rudder without having to sideline the boat.The Oldfish went up to the garage this year for the first time since we brought it down to the Lake in 1978. We turned it upside down on my Dad's model railroad table. The separate aluminum cheek came from "new old stock" in Nebraska if I remember correctly. It replaced my plastic cheek on the Califish which is what I am now
20200808_161042.jpg
calling my Sunfish out here in California. I got many great days sailing in Wisconsin and have been back to Tomales Bay with my sailing friends since my return. All in all, I've found some good deals by being vigilant and patient.
20190920_171600.jpg
20200801_171806.jpg
20190912_184015.jpg

A round trip of 4-1/2 hours to Sack-o'-tomatoes, CA... YIKES!!! :eek:

But I like how you're developing into a real sailor... the Sea Wolf had NOTHIN' on ya, LOL. :rolleyes:

Carry on, my 'Good Internet Friend'---you are making great strides in progress!!! "ARRRRRRRRR!!!" ;)

P.S. A "Califish?" Really? Some distant relative to calamari? Not in the same family, but a distant relative, LOL... :confused:

A round trip of 4-1/2 hours to Sack-o'-tomatoes, CA... YIKES!!! :eek:

But I like how you're developing into a real sailor... the Sea Wolf had NOTHIN' on ya, LOL. :rolleyes:

Carry on, my 'Good Internet Friend'---you are making great strides in progress!!! "ARRRRRRRRR!!!" ;)

P.S. A "Califish?" Really? Some distant relative to calamari? Not in the same family, but a distant relative, LOL... :confused:
You Da Man Cactus...and I've learned a lot from you and your posts the last two years. Thank you for your knowledge and great Forum interactions! We were kickin ass on Tomales last Monday...:D:D

Good to hear it, and I may be joining ya by the end of the year... in spirit and in actual sailing, not in Tomales Bay, LOL. ;)

But I've decided to ride it all out till the election, since I may indeed sail away from this country if the worst happens... and join family overseas, perhaps, no tellin' at this point. :confused:

But it's still okay to pull research, that doesn't cost me anything as I wait to hear word from prospective employers... some of those job openings wound up in the Bermuda Triangle, and NOBODY knows where they are, LOL. :rolleyes:

Meh, I'll get through this mess one way or another, and I still have some relocation options as a cash buyer, so we'll see what happens... Cheers!!! :cool:

Hey, I just watched a bad@$$ lightning storm over the Dragoon Mountains... sat out on the view deck under the awning on the east side with a cold beer or two, and Mother Nature put on a killer light show. Reminded me of rock bands back in the day, Pink Floyd & The Mighty Zep and a few others, LOL. But for some reason, this particular storm brought memories of Rick Derringer & Johnny Winter, go figure... makes sense with Johnny Winter, since he was an albino & he was also an electric guitar player (I mean ELECTRIC, with no reference to power, LOL). I even dredged up a couple of old school videos with the songs I loved back then & the songs I still love today... that "STILL ALIVE AND WELL" tune is like my ANTHEM right now, go figure, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow, when I watch these videos of Rick Derringer & the Winter boys, I think of good times I had in the past, when partying reigned supreme and we had no real cares in the world, AYE??? Alright, enough said, here we go with the links, LOL. ;)

And our boy Johnny Winter... damn, he could play some mean guitar!!! :eek:

As for their appearance, well, it was rock & roll back in the day, LOL... no further explanation is required. I'm off to pound some cold beers and watch some entertainment on my bad boy 65" curved screen. Just know that these tunes ran through my mind as I watched the kick@$$ lightning storm awhile ago, this San Pedro Valley is noted for AWESOME LIGHTNING STORMS, LOL. :rolleyes:

CHEERS, MY NAUTICAL BROTHER!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, ONE DAY YA MIGHT NEED TO 'BUG OUT' WITH THAT CALIFISH, LOL... :cool:

Edit: It's almost funny to see how Rick Derringer looked as a youngster, compared to how he looked after all that hardcore partying took its toll, LOL. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, ol' Johnny, he could sure jam... one heckuva guitarist. Me beloved & dear departed mum used to play violin for Tommy Dorsey, and a couple brothers of mine were pretty good on guitar, but I never had the knack... guess the talent skipped over me, but my niece Margot is very good on piano. :rolleyes:

Rory Gallagher was another guitarist influenced by the blues... certainly one of the best guitarists who ever lived. Rolling Stone magazine once proclaimed that Jimi Hendrix was the world's greatest guitar player, and a staff member actually asked Jimi, "How does it feel to be the greatest guitar player in the world?" Jimi's reply went something like this: "I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher." How cool would THAT be? Having Jimi Hendrix give you the nod as the best guitar player in the world, LOL. :cool:

This song by Rory Gallagher is a good example of his mastery... some of the sounds he produced with a guitar literally could not be duplicated by anyone else. The shorter live video shows him working his guitar, playing licks and riffs that are still amazing to this day. Even when he was half-lit on stage, he could jam like nobody's business... but that demon alcohol led to his demise, and he died at age 47. Lived longer than some musicians, I suppose, and his music went through a revival after he passed away. :rolleyes:

The longer version is technically superior, but the shorter version has nice shots of the harbor in Cork... some of those craft in the harbor look pretty salty, LOL. :eek:

Edit: The keyboard player in the first version looks all coked up toward the end, LOL. ;)

That shot of Rory signing the forearm of a fan reminds me of a gal I used to know, her dad looked much like the actor Jimmy Stewart, and everywhere he went in public, folks would think he was Jimmy Stewart and ask for his autograph. And if he denied it, those same folks would be even more convinced that he actually WAS Jimmy Stewart... so he started signing autographs as an impostor, LOL. He said it was easier that way, and the folks would go away faster and leave him alone... I dunno if he ever took a gander at Jimmy Stewart's actual autograph, in an effort to replicate it, maybe he just signed autographs his own way, and to heck with it, LOL. I always thought that was pretty funny, the way folks would be convinced he was Jimmy Stewart when he actually denied it... :confused:

Last edited:
My apologies to Norcalsail, I'm a notorious thread-jacker, old sea pirate that I am, LOL... :rolleyes:

Meh, beats being a car-jacker or good old-fashioned airplane hijacker... I guess those plane-jackers went out of business with all the new rules & regs. :confused:

Or maybe they didn't wanna wait two hours in a TSA line with all those weapons, explosives, etc., LOL... ;)

Well, I received a good deal of my own today, or at least some good news... I'm still in the running for that state job, the hiring process has been incredibly slow due to Covidiocy, but the guy in charge at the local yard has been pressing for an answer, so perhaps within two weeks I'll know who was chosen for the job. One factor which works in my favor: my proximity to the job site, as all applicants who live outside a certain radius are automatically eliminated. Emergency call-outs during off-duty or weekend hours, you understand. Anyway, I was glad to hear the update, I didn't know if someone else had been chosen and my notification got lost in the mail, ya know? Or lost due to some computer glitch... better to know either way, aye? :confused:

Going back to that thread-jacking number, me beloved & dear departed mum who played violin for Tommy Dorsey, she taught us to embrace all sorts of music from different cultures, including Spanish Flamenco guitar by the likes of Carlos Montoya & Andres Segovia. Those caballeros JAM, even as OLD GUYS, LOL. No carpal tunnel or early-onset arthritis with those ol' boys, don'tcha know? I also like performing artists such as Ottmar Liebert with his Nouveau Flamenco, that guy rips on guitar as well. That whole Flamenco style of guitar playing is cool, with the guitarists bangin' on the hollow instrument itself with hand or fingertips... that's some cool sound, throw in some castanets and you're in business, LOL. Anyway, here's the first Montoya video I saw after Googling him... :rolleyes:

Enjoy, Norcalsail & others!!! Okay, I'm gonna work on this thread-jacking number, I promise!!! Just as soon as I'm elected to public office!!! LOL... ;)

Edit: Found this video on castanets, you woodworkers out there in cyberspace will dig it, LOL. The gal is a bit scary at times, but she knows how to work those castanets... I just liked the production video, since I'm a fair hand at woodworking. Here we go... :cool:

Last edited:
My guess? Being It's a new Sunfish, build-date, 2018.
LOL. of course, not sure why that didn’t occur to me. (Maybe it’s because all three of my fish are from the 60s or 70s. Ha)

I’m curious as to what is different about the ride or performance with a new fish versus the older ones? Do they still come with foam blocks in 2018? Is it more comfortable to sit on, not having the aluminum trim?

Hey Norcalsail, a question about the year of your Sunfish. the serial number says the boat was built in 71? But it has the rounded deck edges instead of the aluminum trim which theyStopped using in 87? Or did the serial number encoding of the manufacture date change at some point?
The last two numbers show the year which is 2018. I bought it new two years ago. Yesterday was actually the second anniversary of my first sail! Mine has foam blocks and seems pretty solid overall. I was just reading Scott B's thread about spider cracks and feel I maybe dodged a bullet there. The rolled edge makes it easier to pick up and carry but it's not necessarily more comfortable than my '77 Oldfish in Wisconsin. The deck by the cockpit has integrated no skid/slip areas to reduce sliding. And Cactus, I'm also a thread jacker and will try to be more careful. I get enthusiastic though, LOL! Great music by the way...

Last edited:
TMI, Wavedancer, TMI... and Norcalsail, has it already been TWO YEARS?!? Dang, where does the time go? Y'all have heard the expression 'Time flies'---but when you're older, it seems like the years go by even faster, LOL. :eek:

Back