A friend ??? gave me a used Laser

Cliff C

A friend of mine (at least I thought so when picking the boat up on a rainy night) gave me a laser he bought for parts. The rig, rudder and centerboard are in good shape as is the deck (solid not spongy). The
problem is that the deck has separated from the hull almost all the way around the boat except the stern. Also, it appears that the mast tube had filled with water, sprung a leak at the bottom, froze during
the winter and cracked the hull, about 8". So far, it all looks repairable. I'm also pretty vested as my 8 year old daughter has fallen in love with it and has asked me to fix it. I have done my fair share of boat fiberglass work but need a bit of advice.

1. The cockpit drain

I believe I can separate the hull from the deck using wedges. My concern is where the cockpit drain is mated to the hull. It is about a half inch thick at the drain but looks like I need to cut on the hull side of the drain. I put a inspection scope in the stern hull drain and it is not clear as to where to separate it. I also saw a bright yellow fender and a white one in the stern. No wonder it was so heavy. I guess this one was built right before going bankrupt (floatation bags must be expensive).

2. My hull number is ZFSA1661M811

Does this mean
Builder Performance Sailcraft in Montreal after bankruptcy.
Sail number 101661
M ?
Month November
Year 2008

I thought ZFS was 82 -85?

3. Any suggestions on some type of trim for where the hull and deck mate? Seems like this will always be a bit sharp and worried my girls might cut them selves.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff

It's all repairable, just a matter of time and little money.

I'm not sure about how to separate the drain plugs- hoping somebody else can help with that. The older ones unscrewed I think but not sure.

As to the deck-hull seam- there's another recent thread on here, somebody asking what product to use, to rejoin that. There were a couple replies at least to that, and that should give you an answer there.

As to the mast tube- making that secure is really important- it's gotta be really strong where the bottom of the tube attaches to the inside (bottom) of the hull. I can't make any suggestions how to do that before re-gluing the deck to the hull. What I'd do-
1. if you take the deck completely off, wrap the tube in some glass, strengthen it, + make it watertight again, BEFORE re-gluing the deck back onto the hull.
2. cut an inspection hole in the deck, about 6" behind + beside the mast hole.
3. after the deck is back on the hull, go in thru the hole, and put 4-6 layers of glass running 1/2 way up the tube, and spreading out 6" or so onto the bottom of the hull.
There are lots of threads on here, about how to reinforce that joint, or repair it after a failure. You're basically do that reinforcement procedure.

Good luck-

Thanks for the recommendation on the mast tube. Just wasn't thinking about the stress that must be exerted on the tube. I have been mulling this over and have a plan for this weekend. Will post pictures if it goes well or if it doesn't.

Thanks!

Back