A frame or T frame Trailer. Whats best?

LuckyJack

Simple and short, whats better an A Frame Launch Trolley/Roadbase (Bramber type with the roller) or a T Frame Launch Trolley/Roadbase (Trident/Snipe etc..)

I currently have an A frame trolley however been looking for a roadbase for it for it for nearly a year without success (some prices have been quoted second hand are above my budget). I have been offered what looks like a snipe t frame road base however this will require me to change my launch trolley (this isn't too much a problem as have one currently lined up on a straight swap) to a t frame. Dont really want to do this however am open to change.

Want to know what other peoples thoughts are...

A few of my thoughts are below,

*The T frame trolleys are wider so the road wheels sit outside of the trolley wheels, this probably enables better stability and better for tieing down when on the road, however I like the compactness of the A frame where the road wheels sit within the trolley wheels.

*T frames also have the two retaining spikes that stick out backwards from the axle and hook over the bottom bar or the launch trolley when mated together, I have visions of these damaging the bottom of my boat while putting back on the trolley after a long days sailing. (I am a bit of a weakling anyway). Roadsbases for A frame trolleys tend to have a roller.

Whats the general consensus on both types of trailers?

Thanks

Jack

I haven't seen the T-frame, but the A-frame has always struck me as a slick design. It looks to be fairly easy to get the dolly portion off and on, and I think it holds both the dolly and boat firmly in place while driving down the road. I really wish we could get them over here in the US.

In my opinion, the Laser is light, on its trailer has a low centre of gravity - so trailer axle length are not a major consideration. The boat is narrow (compared to many so considerations about the trolley fitting inside the road wheels make little difference. Compared to my small hatch back, the boat/trolley/T-style trailer is narrow and you can drive as though it isn't there - no real need to be swinging wide round corners. Of course you should always be aware of the boat when trailing but it's a very easy boat to trail compared to e.g. a Wayfarer.

Maybe more important considerations if you are going to be trailing a lot are the style of trolley (gunwale hung or with a strap supporting the underside of the hull) and the size of the wheels (if you are going to be breaking to 60 m.p.h limit !!). That said, I've done a long trip with my Laser at 7 m.p.h with a standard (small) wheeled trainer and the bearings were fine.

(Though I am no expert in trailer design so above is my personal opinion and not expert advice).
Ian

I have used a T frame and an A frame trolley/trailer combi and they're both adequate for short or long journeys (long meaning about 700 miles).

I do have some faults with both of the designs of trailer;

- the T frame trailer is surprisingly heavy, and I believe it is heavier than the A frame trailer. Also the T frame trailer has been known to dislodge the main bar from the axel!!!

- the A frame trailer is not as heavy (surprisingly) and are much more common to buy. However they are more expensive.

The other option to you is to buy some metal, buy wheels, suspension and ball hitch, buy a MIG welder and make your own. I made my own A frame double stacker for two national 12's which can also fit a laser on top.

Back