A few questions.....

shorefun

I live in NJ, southern NJ and my family is sailing from Brigantine Yacht Club.

If we wanted to try sailing in cooler/ colder weather what gear would we need? I know nothing so I would need to know brand and type of stuff I would need to buy.

I am looking at some smaller gel coat repairs on the Sunfish and an Opti. What are the options for small quantity low cost materials?

I also need to fix about a 2" crack that goes through the fiberglass above the rudder bracket on the opti. Is there a place to get small quantities of epoxy?

No rush, just trying to understand my options. Will also be buying a new sail and some lines for the opti. They work, but he sail got a small tear and is likely 1996 vintage and some of the lines are a bit worn. I got it cheap enough I fell putting some money in it will really make it a great boat.

If the sail is white, the tear can be fixed reasonably with white dacron "sail repair tape". Tough stuff, so get it right the first time! :confused:

Colors? Kite-surfer's repair tape or clear 2" Gorilla tape.

For gelcoat repair, use MarineTex. Hints for its use were listed here this past week.

Epoxy kits and the above tape are available at Amazon, or at West Marine retail stores. (Not enough epoxy resin for anything major).

It has been staying fairly warm for quite a while in our area. Into October/November, I do not know just curious what type of gear would be used. Trying to find out how much it would cost.

Probably a Wet Suit but then you need to determine
the thickness of the Wet Suit depending on how cold
you are going and knowing when a Wet Suit can no
longer help you. I stay away from cold water as it
can impact my health if I get it wrong.

A wet suit should be good for that time of year. Get one with no or short sleeves, and get a spray top to wear over it with fleece layers as needed to stay warm. Neoprene sailing boots from Gill or Ronstan will keep your feet warm enough.

I live in NJ, southern NJ and my family is sailing from Brigantine Yacht Club.

If we wanted to try sailing in cooler/ colder weather what gear would we need? I know nothing so I would need to know brand and type of stuff I would need to buy.

I am looking at some smaller gel coat repairs on the Sunfish and an Opti. What are the options for small quantity low cost materials?

I also need to fix about a 2" crack that goes through the fiberglass above the rudder bracket on the opti. Is there a place to get small quantities of epoxy?

No rush, just trying to understand my options. Will also be buying a new sail and some lines for the opti. They work, but he sail got a small tear and is likely 1996 vintage and some of the lines are a bit worn. I got it cheap enough I fell putting some money in it will really make it a great boat.
There's a wetsuit (size small) available at this forum's pages of "Classifieds":

Thanks for the wetsuit link.

My one son is over 6' tall and I am 6' 6" tall. So there is the issue of length. That is a small wetsuit.

Back