A Draining Question

BlueBear

I am planning on buying a 1989 14.2 this weekend but I have rain water concerns.

I will be keeping the boat in the water at a dock slip at a state park. The boat may go unattended for a couple of weeks at a time and need to know if rain water will self drain if I remove the transom plug. I had an O' Day Daysalior for 5 years before I discovered all I had to do was remove the transom plug to keep rain water from filling the boat while I was away. Of course I had to remember to put the plug back in when I got back into the boat otherwise my feet would get damp pretty quick!

I was wondering if the14.2 works the same way as well.

Thanks

I am a trailer sailor and have no experience with mooring sailboats over a long period of time, so my advice may be worth nothing. And I'm sure you know that the cockpit is self-bailing, has two open drains that are designed to release any water that gathers in the cockpit area.

The transom plug for the hull sits near or below the waterline depending on weight aboard. I'd be more worried about it allowing water into the hull over time if the transom plug is not in place? Water weight is so heavy and could spell disaster in short order. I'd think that a quality mooring cover would keep rainwater from collecting in the hull, and that you would want to keep the transom plug in place. Also just make sure the cuddy door is well sealed. Other than a leaking hull, I can't think of any other way rain water would collect in the boat?

In southside VA I am sailing a 14.2K keel version, Mod 3 with a Honda 2.3 mounted on the stern mount. The boat stays in the water at my dock from May through Sept/Oct and I have experienced no problems with the self bailing feature and I make sure no trash (leaves etc) collects in the cockpit to impede water flow through the scuppers. I would never leave the boat in the water with the transom plug removed. In fact, the only time the plug is removed is during the winter when the boat is stored on the trailer. I don't recall ever having any water in the bilge at the end of the "season". I agree that you need to be sure that the cuddy door is well sealed.

Thanks guys for your replies. I had not seen a14.2 in person and I did not want to make a 12 hr round trip to Lake George, NY to purchase a boat that souded very promising unless it was feasible to keep it in a slip most of the time.

The transom plug from my old daysalor that I use to remove was from the inside of the cockpit. Now that I picked up my Mod 1 14.2 I see what you mean by the Capri's drain plug located on the back of the transom. Surely that should not be removed except to drain the bilge when out of the water.

However, there is also a plug on the transom located on the inside of the cockpit on the 14.2. What is that for?

Is hauling out the boat from the water the only way to remove water from the bilge?

I see repeated advice to keep the cuddy hatch secure. However, it is my understanding that there isn't any cuddy hatch cover available for the Mod 1 boats (1989). Is that correct?

Thanks

Congrats on your new boat! Can you post a pic of the described second drain plug inside the cockpit? I don't have anything like that on my Mod 1.

I am embarased Capritx! What I thought was a drain plug like my old O'Day boat had is actually a small eye bolt. It is located on the transom about 3" below the hiking strap plate. Please forgive a dumb new boat owner.

Now what the heck is this eye bolt is used for?

Back