96' olympics Laser

derek vanslager

I own a 1996 laser with the Olympics graphics, does this mean it was used for the games in Atlanta? Is it worth any more money than usual?? lol

Thanks,
Derek

I own a 1996 laser with the Olympics graphics, does this mean it was used for the games in Atlanta? Is it worth any more money than usual?? lol

Thanks,
Derek

All Lasers produced in the US that year were that special edition. Came in red or blue. It COULD have been one of the Olympic ones, but even with documentation I doubt it would be worth much extra.

If you really want one that was used in the Olympics, I'm sure there will be a bunch for sale in a few weeks. Cost of importation from Brazil might be a bit steep, though.

Thanks for that info, torrid - I thought those red boats were all actually at the games, at least as spares.
If you really want one that was used in the Olympics, I'm sure there will be a bunch for sale in a few weeks. Cost of importation from Brazil might be a bit steep, though.
My understanding is that used championship boats cost the same (just a little less than new ones) no matter where the regatta was held. That said, most of the Rio boats have probably been already reserved by the Brazilians and other South Americans.

Hmm. My boat has the "Centennial Olympic Games" lettering and logo/design baked into the hull. It has stickers with the Olympic logo and "Atlanta 1996" on all the parts (hull, boards, spars). I also have a sail with the 3-letter code for the sailor's country, and the sailor's last name. I have some paperwork that looks unofficial, but I was told by the previous owner that it was purchased from a broker who sold it directly after it was sailed in the games.

Anyone know if the above amounts to bona fides... or verisimilitude?

Just curious. Regardless, it's a great boat to sail.

Ahh, the beach. Let's go there right now.

laser.jpg

Back