73 mini fish I did a pressure test and found a leak in center board

signal charlie

Staff member
Clean the area and file/sand away any loose bits to get to a good base surface or clean edge.

For small cracks try Marine Tex Epoxy Putty, thickened epoxy like THIXO or Flexpoxy, or do a full blown fiberglass repair for bigger cracks.

L&VW

You mean the daggerboard slot?
Pictures will help...
Aren't we calling it the daggerboard
trunk? :oops:

By "leak", do you mean seeing white fiberglass damage from above? (About an inch below the deck).

If a Sunfish is stored up-side down, freezing temperatures can cause accumulated condensation to delaminate fiberglass layers within the trunk

('Trying to make a case for pictures :) )

Thread starter #6
I did a pressure test and filled dagger board trunk with soapy water and found bubbles coming from trunk should I try to coat trunk with resin

mixmkr

Do what you can without changing the size of the slot.... adding resin will decrease overall size, if you don't remove some material first. You don't want to end up with a "most excellent" repair, only to find out your daggerboard will no longer fit down the slot ;-(

I think most repairs are at either end of the slot, so you might be able to get a Dremel type tool in there to lightly grind the area that leaks...(with an extended bit....or custom make something to sand??) and then repair, using decent repair procedures.

signal charlie

Staff member
You need to find which part of trunk and address that area. File out cracked bits as needed and fill with thickened epoxy, maybe a little chopped glass or cloth patch as needed. No need to coat the entire trunk.