First Time sailing the Minifish.

Attachments

• minifish.jpg
    minifish.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 167
  • minifish2.jpg
    minifish2.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 104
I just bought a minifish myself. It has the mast and boom of a mini-with a sunfish sail. Believe it or not the previous owner shortened the sunfish sail by sewing it over on the leech and foot of the sail. So, I am in the market for a new sail.
Your sail I am not familiar with, but it looks even smaller than a minifish sail. (and rigged a little higher than normal-I assume to give you headroom)
Any pointers for a new owner? I had a sunny as a kid over 20 years ago so I don't know much about things.

The Jetwind sail is 82 sqft as opposed to the Minifish sail of 65 sqft, so it's actually a little larger. The mast is about 10" higher so it is rigged higher (which is nice when sailing with a little one). The winds are light where I sail, so the extra sqft really comes in handy. I also have the original Minifish rig that I use on very windy days. The Jetwind sail is to large for windy conditions.

I've only sailed my Minifish a few times, so I am still getting to know how she handles. So far, it's a very stable and fast boat. I love the light weight. Also, it's good for just paddling around. I use a newer style Sunfish Dagger and Rudder, but I am working on a shorter Dagger, more like the original. The one thing I wish it had is a hiking strap, it's hard to get the most out of it without one.

When you get to sail your Mini, let me know how it went.

Happy Sailing!

"...the previous owner shortened the sunfish sail by sewing it over on the leech and foot of the sail. So, I am in the market for a new sail..."
Why not use a seam-removing tool (found in every sewing box) and remove the stitches? Or a sharp pen-knife? Fifteen minutes...voilá!

Back