71 Sunfish newbie questions

raubvogel

Recently (as in yesterday) I became the owner of a 1971 Sunfish (according to serial number). It is the first sailboat I ever had; I have a jetski but I got it for a totally different reason (and it is not what people buy them for). Anyway, it will need some cleaning and probably I should consider doing some restoring and deciding where this restoration should go. So, let me ask a few loose questions:

• I have seen online articles about adding some inspection holes, one by the rudder and one on the front. Are they a good idea?
  • This boat has the old style rudder, as it in does not raise up like the ones I sailed on at the university lake. Does it worth upgrading?
  • The rudder hardware seems to be made of brass and has that patina look. Should I clean it up or leave the patina? I remember being told it actually works as a nice corrosion protection layer.
  • I found out the mast collected water inside it. What is the best way to make it leave the mast? Pop one of the end caps?

I have seen online articles about adding some inspection holes, one by the rudder and one on the front. Are they a good idea?
Only if you have a reason to put them in, like to dry waterlogging or repair something inside the hollow of the hull.

This boat has the old style rudder, as it in does not raise up like the ones I sailed on at the university lake. Is it worth upgrading?
That depends ... the pre-'72 style rudder also flips up and if well maintained can be adjusted to function decently. It does have a weakness for flipping up unexpectedly when sailed in the upper limits of the boat's designed range.

No question, the newer design performs better. New parts will likely run you ~$400+, used ~$200

The rudder hardware seems to be made of brass and has that patina look. Should I clean it up or leave the patina? I remember being told it actually works as a nice corrosion protection layer.
Bronze, actually.

Your call. If you polish the parts the patina will return fairly quickly unless you clear-coat them..., and it will go through a green phase along the way.

I found out the mast collected water inside it. What is the best way to make it leave the mast? Pop one of the end caps?
Yes..., then you can also seal the mast so it doesn't leak.

Back