69 alcort sunfish

ptotten

Hi! I'm new to this forum and can't wait to post a picture of my baby. She's a blue '69 that was bought used for our family in the 70's. She sat unused while we all (4 kids) raised our families and now I've got her back and in great sailing shape! I live on the Tuckahoe River in South Jersey and the boat has all original rigging, including sail, rudder and daggerboard (wood).
I had a little problem with taking on water last year, but logged onto your forum to get ideas on how to check for leaks and get her fixed up. This was a great sailing year for me...I might even take her out today..with a north east wind blowing and exceptionally high tides. The temperature is 55 degrees...brrrr! I have a question: why install inspection ports? Do you use them for drainage?

You already mentioned your SF had been taking on water last year and you indicate that you believed you have solved it. The little drain plug at the end of the splash rail is fairly ineffective for removing water while inspection ports do at least 3 things for you;

1. Allows you to visually check the interior for water inside and sponge any water out that should happen to be there. Many older SF do develope leaks over time.
2. Provide ventalation to the inside to help dry out the foam (you did weigh your SF, didn't you? About 130 lbs is ideal, 140 is ok, lighter is better but do not remove the foam).
3. Allows repairs to the mast well/dagger board areas from a typical 6" port behind the spash rail, and do repairs to the bridle eye area and a rudder upgrade, if desired, from a 5" port installed in the stern.

More info on the location and how to install ports and drying out your SF can be found in earlier posts (do a search) in this forum and over in the Files and Photo sections on Yahoo Sunfish Sailor, and/or at Wind Line Sails "How-to" section. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice, supercub. I thought the ports might be a better way to drain water. Also, I'm considering the new rudder upgrade, since my husband is handy with wood and can save us $$ by fashioning a new rudder. The inspection ports will be necessary for that upgrade. I don't get a whole lot of wind most of the time on the river, but I sure did yesterday with that NE wind! What an exciting day! Got a great ab workout! I never weighed my boat (how in the world would you do THAT!) but I know she was extremely over weight when she was holding water last year. This year, she's sat nice and high on the water all season!

Weighing your SF is pretty simple. Take your bathroom scale out to the mid point of your SF and on a hard surface, roll your SF up on the scale (get your husband to help). Then while one of you steadies the SF, the other can read the scale. The picture is of a Mirror Dingy, but you can get the idea. See my post on the aft port (Sept 3 2006). The forward location is good for ventalation with out up grading the rudder (can be done later), the rear location is good when doing the upgrade.

Attachments

• weegschaala.jpg
    weegschaala.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 25

Back