'67 Sunfish

Thread starter #21
that's definitely not standard - looks like the previous owner removed the standard hook and replaced it with a horn cleat. it will work - but I certainly would never want to cleat the mainsheet on something that tricky to remove if a gust of wind were to come up while you are sailing.

this is my basic setup (on a Minifish...) it's even easier to install on a Sunfish like yours with the cockpit lip/overhang.

this 2nd photo is my older Sunfish similar to yours - but before I had installed the stand-up spring (I would recommend installing the spring - it keeps the ratchet block from flopping around and scratching up the deck.

Apparently the little (as yet unnamed) 50 year old Sunfish has a double-sided sheet hook (and not a cleat), maybe it's not as genuine as I'd hoped.
I'll check into some of the used sails mentioned in the posts, I'm not looking to win any races, just puttering around the lake with the grandkids aboard is all. Doubtful I'll be showing off my sailing skills, since I have none, but at least they'll have a chance to learn some of their own. Hopefully without crashing grandpa's little sailboat.

Last edited:

signal charlie

Staff member
She looks pretty stock too me, one of the most stock I've seen, especially given she is almost 52. Who knows, maybe Alcort tried something different that year with the cleat, just like they started adding stripes. Your year was the first to have stripes, after 7 years of no stripes. Another good thing about those years is the hulls are almost bomb proof, nice woven roving construction, a few pounds more than the current boats but perfect for a Grandkid trainer and easy to repair.

There are some pros to that cleat, it is easy to throw a lazy hitch around that when on a long tack, then switch to the other side when on the other tack. What waters will she sail?

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Other than the sail and that cleat (and both are easily replaced) it looks like you’ve got a great boat. That meat hook has got to go, though! It looks way too big for an already small cockpit. I’d replace it with the original hook- as Signal Charlie said, it has worked for all these years. They come up on eBay once in a while, or maybe someone here has one for sale (or post here under ‘Wanted’.
I hope the grandkids bang it up a little- that means they’re learning and having fun. If it doesn’t get a scratch it’s probably sitting in the yard. You can always come back to the forum with your fiberglass repair questions :)
Good for you for introducing the next generation to the fun of sailing!

Attachments

L&VW

I just checked each page of kjwalker2's 58-mile adventure, where the stock Sunfish hook would be severely tested. :oops: Wondering how his grip held up, if a ratchet block was installed, and what size mainsheet was in use?