65 Sunfish Restoration

Sunfish65

Hi There,

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 65 Sunfish over the weekend. The hull seems to be a little battered, but in overall decent condition. I want to restore the boat.

The hull and deck need some rubbing compound to bring back the glass. Also a small spot on the deck near the stern, looks like it was mashed a bit (near the seam).

There is a 2 deep scratches on the keel, and a small spot on the side of there hull (looks like they hit a rock), where there could be the beginning of a small puncture.

I want to paint this boat, my questions are:

Can I use MarineTex on the hull scratches, and puncture, and deck. Can I paint over this product? Will it be noticeable through the paintjob where the patches were?

I also want to install a block (currently there is a hook). Can I install this on the cockpit lip? Should It be right where the cockpit meets the beginning of the lip (closer to the centreboard slot)?

What paint do you recommend? I want a rock hard finish. Do you recommend any paint products from West Marine (it's close to me)?

Also the rudder hardware on the stern is coming up a bit. Is there a place I can get replacement hardware?

Thanks to all.

Sunfish65

Can I use MarineTex on the hull scratches, and puncture, and deck.
Probably, it works for scratches and small holes. If you post a pictures of the boat and a couple of the details it would be helpful for providing more specific advice.

Can I paint over this product?
I believe Marine-Tex is paintable. Have you checked with them for their advice?

Marine Tex
http://www.marinetex.com/index.html

Will it be noticeable through the paintjob where the patches were?
That will depend on how well you sand and blend the repair with the surrounding surface.

I also want to install a block (currently there is a hook). Can I install this on the cockpit lip? Should It be right where the cockpit meets the beginning of the lip (closer to the centreboard slot)?
Take a look at post #4 in this thread. http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=31575

What paint do you recommend? I want a rock hard finish. Do you recommend any paint products from West Marine (it's close to me)?
West carries about all the better marine paint brands there are. Interlux brand is general favorite. Since Sunfish are trailored day sailors there’s no need for the specialty bottom paints, the deck paints do fine all around.

Also the rudder hardware on the stern is coming up a bit. Is there a place I can get replacement hardware?
Not sure what you mean by, "coming up". Are the screws coming out and the hardware loose? A picture would be a big help here too. Pre-1972 rudder hardware is still available, used, through a couple of sources. Depends some on which pieces you are looking for.

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. I attached some photos below. Has anyone seen a boat in worse condition?

Attachments

• Sunfish1.jpg
    Sunfish1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Sunfish2.jpg
    Sunfish2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Sunfish3.jpg
    Sunfish3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Sunfish4.jpg
    Sunfish4.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 94
Looks like a lot of fun is still left in it. I don't see a problem with the rudder hardware, the wooden backing blocks the rudder hardware is screwed into will be the problem. Going to need a inspection port on the rear deck to replace the wood screws with bolts, nuts and fender washers. Here's the test, try removing the spring plate and tightening the screws, good chance they will strip out or not tighten. The rudder strap on the bottom of the hull is usually the first to fall off. Needs a bolt and nut because it's always getting flexed.

it could be possible to wheel the deck out with 3m finness it or a similar product. if most of the jelcoat is still there that would be better than painting its not real hard to do.. i've done it on a few boat with good results. once you paint future painting is inevitable.

That sail looks like it's original, and if it is, there's probably pin holes galore all over it. You can buy yourself some time with some sail tape found online; the big box stores also make a clear duct tape these days which is pretty good in a pinch. Hey, it doesn't have to be pretty.

When the time does come for a new sail, it's hard to beat the Neil Pryde sails for $150 - half the price of the present Sunfish OEM sails. Neil Pryde "Primary" and "Patriot" would look good with that restored red deck. Neil Pryde sails also come with the original Sunfish logo...

Link: http://www.neilprydesails.com/store/sun.htm

Also, with regard to that brass gooseneck on the boom, you may want to gently undo it, give it a nice gentle cleaning, and then wrap some silver electrician's tape around it. From there, gently slip the gooseneck back over the tape. Old booms tend to get "pinched in" at this point, and you won't know if it's been pinched in, or "squeezed in", until you gently undo the nut. And if this boat was used in salt water at some point in time, there's definitely going to be nasty corrosive salt under that gooseneck...

Anyway, an FYI. If that gooseneck has been pinched or salt corroded, that boom will snap in two right at the point of the gooseneck the first time that you tip over. It's makes for a real bummer of a weekend!

Wrapping the gooseneck with a strengthening under-layer of electrician's tape is standard practice in my neck of the woods....

Thank-you everyone for your valuable input. I was thinking:

Repair all dents with Marine-tex

New Intensity or NP Sail

Rubbing compound to see if the gelcoat comes back. Followed by a wax.

Sand and refinish daggerboard & centreboard

Sunfish65

Back