'65 Lightning restore thread

Kaiser

I haven't been posting up about the restore I've been doing on my Lightning - wasn't sure if anyone would be interested - but HERE is a link to my iboats.com thread about it (which is itself a copy of the real thread on the offroad truck board where a lot of my friends hang out... I'm over-forumed!)

It's got a ton of pictures of the fiberglass work I've been doing etc

I haven't been posting up about the restore I've been doing on my Lightning - wasn't sure if anyone would be interested - but HERE is a link to my iboats.com thread about it (which is itself a copy of the real thread on the offroad truck board where a lot of my friends hang out... I'm over-forumed!)

It's got a ton of pictures of the fiberglass work I've been doing etc

Enjoying the pictures. Lightnings were my first love as a kid in the 60s-70s. However in my area, it was considered quite a disgrace to your boat to put a motor on it.

Do you know the hull number and boat builder?

Hope you keep posting.

Thanks for checking it out. I am really looking forward to finishing it and getting out on the water.

I understand about the motor, but I am really looking forward to being able to drive on and off the trailer like a powerboat =)

It is hull #9470. It wasn't made by any of the modern builders that most people recognize (Allen, Nickels etc). It was made by Martin Weir and Co.

Thanks for checking it out. I am really looking forward to finishing it and getting out on the water.

I understand about the motor, but I am really looking forward to being able to drive on and off the trailer like a powerboat =)

It is hull #9470. It wasn't made by any of the modern builders that most people recognize (Allen, Nickels etc). It was made by Martin Weir and Co.

If you weren't so far from NC, I'd help you. I crewed on a few woodies in PA( 806 or thereabouts and 7171 back in the day and we were constantly working on those boats. As I recall, from about the 7000 series , you could order them in wood or glass and I think there was a time you could get kits or patterns to build from.) I think 9427 in our fleet was a similar construction and if so, you'll want to reinforce the centerboard trunk.

Great memories

I wouldn't be surprised the Lightning class could help you track down previous owners.

About to add a couple new pics...

I just hope that people don't see my thread and think I'm ruining it.

I'm doing my best to patch it up and get it back out on the water, but I'm also making it a bit heavier in the process... I'm an electronics designer - not a boat builder :eek:

Looks like some pretty solid repairs. I don't see how anyone could see taking a delapidated boat and putting it back on the water would be "ruining" it.

I've sailed on Lightnings a couple of times. Neat boats, but I never did get used to the side-to-side hiking straps.

Back