62 year old wanting to race

RAN

Im a sailing instructor/coach in Puerto Rico north shore.
Im strong and well built.
I want ot start racing and am considering the Laser and the Sunfish.
There are no masters groups here and i dont know how to proceed to create one.
any suggestions?
Thanks
Captain RAN

Race in the strongest group, or the one with the most Masters, and see if you can create something out of that.

The Sunfish is more manageable for a Master.

You really don't need a Masters group to go race Sunfish or Laser. You will discover that the Sunfish class has a lot of Masters anyway. The Laser class has Master specific regattas that tend to be a little less competitive. :) Moreover, Laser Masters follow the rules, at least most of the time :)

Im a sailing instructor/coach in Puerto Rico north shore.
I want ot start racing and am considering the Laser and the Sunfish.
There are no masters groups here and i dont know how to proceed to create one.
any suggestions?

I started looking up the whereabouts of a particularly helpful and personable Sunfish & Laser 'master-age' competitor/coach from Puerto Rico that I got to know at a few regattas -- he's knows absolutely everybody, he's in your age category, and I thought maybe I could point you in his direction for advice -- however I saw that he's likely coaching in Miami at the moment and probably not in PR right now.

But in the search I came across something I had never noticed before on the Sunfish Class website -- an encyclopedic catalog of competitive Sunfish sailors! This is amazing and must have been some effort of love by someone here: http://www.sunfishworlds.org/resultspersailor.asp

Maybe you can scan the list and see if there are any familiar folks. If you'd like the name of the sailor I had in mind, email me off-line at [email protected].

Back