<5kts

mixmkr

Do you just like to get out even if it's going to be a drifter? Its been really light around here lately and chances of getting becalmed are sometimes high, especially at dusk. Hard to pass up smooth water sometimes though.

For me it depends, if it's light and steady winds I enjoy going out, but if there is no wind at all, I'll wait for a better day.

One of the reasons I like sailing my out and returns on the Russian River is because of the areas of extremely light air that I have to get through on the trip.

I also will often go on days where I know the chances are good that it will be lighter than usual on the Russian River to add to the fun where there's a chance that I might not get home without an extensive paddling session.

And when the days are shorter during the late fall, winter and early spring, I often face the possibility that I'll run into a shut down on the last 2 miles getting back to the boat ramp at Jenner on my return trip. But that makes it more fun because even though I do have areas of good breeze on the river on those days, I'm still racing to get back in time before the shut down. I'm racing the sun.

From 6 minutes on in this video, I deal with transitioning very light air on the river and repeatedly getting, "glassed" as I call it. Sorry... it's Laser sailing footage but it illustrates the kind of game I play with myself of risking not getting home. But what's the worst thing that can happen? A long paddle. I do the same thing with my Sunfish. Just haven't documented it yet with the video camera.

Cheers,

- Andy

Yes. I enjoy lounging in the cockpit with the tiller over my shoulder or leaning against the mast and steering with my feet, checking the bow every now and then. I prefer it to hiking all day.

I'm able to look over about 2 square miles. This morning, great flatness. :( There were a few cats-paws "building"—with a forecast of 5-7 MPH winds plus puffy clouds to make more wind, decided to launch.

'Don't think I was ever becalmed, but when heading home after Noon, the wind reversed direction and was much stronger! :confused: 'Glad I hadn't extended the earlier upwind legs. :)

I'm the exact opposite. If it's less than 11 mph, I won't even bother going. The days I live for are when the wind is howling and the big boat sailors are coming in with sails down and the look of terror in their eyes. I just tighten my hiking strap and head for open water.

I'm the exact opposite. If it's less than 11 mph, I won't even bother going. The days I live for are when the wind is howling and the big boat sailors are coming in with sails down and the look of terror in their eyes. I just tighten my hiking strap and head for open water.
I am the same way. If the winds are too light, I just sit there frustrated, hot and sweaty... wishing the wind would pick up. No thanks.

Do you just like to get out even if it's going to be a drifter?
Its been really light around here lately and chances of getting becalmed are sometimes high, especially at dusk. Hard to pass up smooth water sometimes though.
I think you are in my neighborhood, so I'm asking, would you exchange "a drifter" for the weather today? 'Just checked, and today's wind-chill factor produced a temperature of 36 degrees! :eek:

Im in Kentucky...today we had 15-20kts with 70 degree temps. Yes I would trade, but needed to get some jobs done too. Tomorrow is play day with same winds, no rain and 80 degrees temp. Ky lake water temp is 80 degrees too.

I sail in 68~70 degree temps with a 20 mph breeze regularly and I hate the cold. The secret is a cheap shorty wetsuit. I bought mine at a local sporting goods store at their end of the season sale, but there is an online place that has stuff cheap year round. I bought all my surfing wetsuits there. It's called wetsuit warehouse.

Back