54th Annual Miami to Key Largo Race

hogitz

South Florida Laser Sailors should consider doing this race. My brother and I have both done it in Lasers and the only thing that could be better, would be to have at least 5 boats to form a seperate class :) Surely there are five Sailors with the nads to sail 45 miles in the bay :) info and registration at miamiyachtclub.net

Attachments

• 2009 Miami to Key Largo b.jpg
    2009 Miami to Key Largo b.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 35
South Florida Laser Sailors should consider doing this race. My brother and I have both done it in Lasers and the only thing that could be better, would be to have at least 5 boats to form a seperate class :) Surely there are five Sailors with the nads to sail 45 miles in the bay :) info and registration at miamiyachtclub.net
Wow I'm kinda surprized noone has stepped up to say their giving it a go Maybe the class has gone soft :) just kidding I got my but beat pretty bad last time out :(

Not that I'm gonig to race it, but are they even equipped to handle dinghies? It looks like mostly a race for keelboats and maybe a few catamarans. From what I've seen, yacht clubs aren't very enthusiastic for "little boats" to compete in events like this.

My brother and I have both done it in Lasers and I did it in a Finn its one of the few distance races that allows 14 foot boats. When I entered I asked if the Laser which falls just short of 14 feet was not allowed and they told me no problem at all, what was a problem was that since there was not a full class which then was 5, now the NOR says 3 can be a class they put me in the open class against I-14's and E-Scows I didnt think that was exactly fair but I had a great time and It was a bucket list Item accomplished and a trip I will never forget (in a good way :) ) The Party is great and the venue is unbeatable. Hope some of you make it, to not would be a lost opportunity for a lifetime memory :)

The web site says all boats must be greater than 14 feet minimum, so I don't think Lasers would be welcomed.
I think I may be a bit outta line. I know you are welcome to join the race and MYC is a very casual yacht club. But I dont want to make light of what your in for. If its windy its a lot of hiking if its light its a long day. You will be sore at the finish. If your hull has any slow leaks just forget about it. If your underage and I'm your dad I wouldnt let you go. If your not underage and you make it, the first drinks on me:).

The Miami YC logistics of skipper's meeting on the 16th, race the 18th, and awards on the 25th don't exactly encourage out of town participation.

I did that race several times in the 60's when I was a junior at Coconut Grove Sailing Club. In those days there were mostly one designs sailing it, even down to 11 ft Moth boats. Not bad if you get good reaching winds and can cut through the Arsnickers.

The race happens to be on the same date as our Spring Regatta in Melbourne so most of us in East Central FL will be going to that.

Was Lew twitchell on one of the moths? He helped me when I was teaching the kids to sail at MYC he was a salty old bird and a Moth pioneer

Was Lew twitchell on one of the moths? He helped me when I was teaching the kids to sail at MYC he was a salty old bird and a Moth pioneer
I can't remember if Lew sailed the Key Largo races, but I sailed Moths for a while and knew him.
I sailed the Key Largo races in a Southeaster and I think Peter Branning sailed his Southeaster in some of those as well.

Wow I'm kinda surprized noone has stepped up to say their giving it a go Maybe the class has gone soft :) just kidding I got my but beat pretty bad last time out :(

It's not the 45 miles that scare me... I'm fit... it's the 800 mile drive to get there :)

800 miles is pretty harsh :) . But I have to do that to spend a day snow skiing. There are some legitimate logistical issues. Most Laser sailors will want a trailor waiting for them at Gilberts.The skippers meeting on Thursday, I think is so the big boat people can move their boats to the starting area on Friday. The Awards on the following weekend is crappy for visiting sailors. If we get a fleet of Lasers you will know if you won or not the day of the race. and theres always skippers that arent there to pick up their awards. Other arrangements can be made to get your award to you. The whole event is a fund raiser for The Youth Sailing Foundation I think they do it that way to sell more Mount Gay drinks for a buck or so each (all proceeds to the kiddies) I'm not on the race commitee, I'm not a member of their Club, but they've put on a great race for 54 years so I'm not going to tell them how to do it. Tight sheets and good sailing
Hogitz (Michael Peteler)

Forcast ENE 15-17 for this Saturday This = around 5 hours in a Laser. Entry deadline 6PM today 4/16/2009 at Miami Yacht Club. Skippers meeting at 8PM

Again not sailing the race, but curious about one thing. How are you going to get your boat (and yourself) back to Miami? I hope you've got a buddy to drive your trailer down there.

Ideally, a trailer, or a tow, between 7 AM and 10 AM Sunday 50 Larger boats head back to Miami if you need arrangements find me at the skippers meeting tonite.
Michael Peteler "Unicorn"
Creekmore 36'
southflasailing.com
954-907-6818

Back