5 questions for rigging the Sunfish

Carib_Jim

I spend six months of the year on the Caribbean island of Bonaire. (I’m retired and my wife & I do a lot of scuba diving.) This is divided into a three month spring trip and a three month fall trip. I am a long time diehard racing sailor, so with the Sunfish being the dominant Caribbean boat, I recently purchased a slightly used Sunfish with a brand new racing sail. I love this little boat; it really gets up and goes. I like the clean centerboard trunk/deck arrangement. I love the clever rudder/tiller arrangement. However, I can’t believe that in all these years there is not a better arrangement for attaching the halyard to the gaff – which is to say there is no arrangement. I tried 30” of rope half-hitched with every wrap around the gaff for the halyard to butt against and that started slipping after 45 minutes of sailing. I tried black electrical tape and that also started slipping after 45 minutes. I am now using a stainless steel hose clamp which seems to be successful. Question #1) This does seem to solve the problem, but is it legal?
The next problem is that at this time of year, the trade winds are strong and they blow day and night, week after week. I’ve been here five weeks and during that time there has been one single day when the wind dropped under 15 mph. There has been a week of days when the wind was under 20, so the rest of the time it has been between 20 to 30. So, for more comfortable spring sailing I’m planning to purchase a recreation sail without a window and put in a set of reefing grommets about 12 to 18 inches up from the foot of the sail. Both the foot of the sail and the luff of the sail will then slide forward. This will leave a sail that would be the same as cutting off about 12 to 18 inches from the leach. Question #2) Has anybody done this and if so, does it work? My white, North, racing sail has a window sewed in place, but the Dacron has not been removed. I don’t know if this is customary or if this was a mistake on the assembly line. I am concerned that if I just cut the Dacron with scissors, it will start unraveling. On the other hand, if I had a “hot-knife” to use (which I don’t) I would be afraid of touching and damaging the window. Question #3) Any answers to this problem?
We have over a dozen Sunfish at the Bonaire sailing center, but most of them are raggedy “club” boats. None of the boats have a cleat on the mast. I see that a mast cleat must be no more than 4 feet from the base of the mast. Question #4) Is 4 feet a good place for that cleat, or would 2 or 3 feet make more sense?
At my age of 70, I would like to put a central swivel mainsheet cleat, with ratchet block on the boat as I did when I had a Laser many years ago. I do not like the idea of side cleats, they are very awkward to use, especially on tacks and jibes. Question #5) Has anybody found a central swivel mainsheet cleat with ratchet block that is small enough to be mounted on the Sunfish?

Well I'll adress your last question. Don't do it. The winds you encounter are the reason fish racers stopped using a center cleating block. When hiked out you can not raise your arm high enough to release the mainsheet from the cleat. The "standard" center block is the 019 Harken using an eye strap for mounting and a stand up spring.
In winds like you encounter not using any "locking device" is recommended.

Use a clove hitch to attach the halyard to the gaff. It will not slip. Hose clamps are illegal for this.

Also your racing sail is defective. You should return it to the dealer instead of trying to fix it yourself.

BB

I am a long time diehard racing sailor, so with the Sunfish being the dominant Caribbean boat, I recently purchased a slightly used Sunfish with a brand new racing sail. I love this little boat; it really gets up and goes. I like the clean centerboard trunk/deck arrangement. I love the clever rudder/tiller arrangement. However, I can’t believe that in all these years there is not a better arrangement for attaching the halyard to the gaff – which is to say there is no arrangement. I tried 30” of rope half-hitched with every wrap around the gaff for the halyard to butt against and that started slipping after 45 minutes of sailing. I tried black electrical tape and that also started slipping after 45 minutes. I am now using a stainless steel hose clamp which just seems to be successful. Question #1) This does seem to solve the problem, but is it legal?
The next problem is that at this time of year, the trade winds are strong and they blow day and night, week after week. I’ve been here five weeks and during that time there has been one single day when the wind dropped under 15 mph. There has been a week of days when the wind was under 20, so the rest of the time it has been between 20 to 30. So, for more comfortable spring sailing I’m planning to purchase a recreation sail without a window and put in a set of reefing grommets about 12 to 18 inches up from the foot of the sail. Both the foot of the sail and the luff of the sail will then slide forward. This will leave a sail that would be the same as cutting off about 12 to 18 inches from the leach. Question #2) Has anybody done this and if so, does it work? My white, North, racing sail has a window sewed in place, but the Dacron has not been removed. I don’t know if this is customary or if this was a mistake on the assembly line. I am concerned that if I just cut the Dacron with scissors, it will start unraveling. On the other hand, if I had a “hot-knife” to use (which I don’t) I would be afraid of touching and damaging the window. Question #3) Any answers to this problem?
We have over a dozen Sunfish at the Bonaire sailing center, but most of them are raggedy “club” boats. None of the boats have a cleat on the mast. I see that a mast cleat must be no more than 4 feet from the base of the mast. Question #4) Is 4 feet a good place for that cleat, or would 2 or 3 feet make more sense?
At my age of 70, I would like to put a central swivel mainsheet cleat, with ratchet block on the boat as I did when I had a Laser many years ago. I do not like the idea of side cleats, they are very awkward to use, especially on tacks and jibes. Question #5) Has anybody found a central swivel mainsheet cleat with ratchet block that is small enough to be mounted on the Sunfish?

Q 1 has been answered by Beldar.

Q 2+3: Yes, those tradewinds are something else. In the Curacao regatta, not too long ago, we had 20+ knots every day (and 4-6 foot waves as well). But you don't need to buy another sail. You should try a Jens rig and/or reef the sail. Regarding the latter, you hook the Cunningham grommet to the intersection of the spars. I agree with Beldar that you should return that North racing sail.

Q 4: Is a matter of what's comfortable when you are rigging the halyard, hoisting the sail. A mast cleat is good for those conditions; the halyard will stretch less and the rig won't drop as you sail and bounce around in the waves.

Q 5: As Beldar wrote; don't even think about a central cleat in those winds. Cleats on the deck might be handy when you are cruising home in lighter winds, but shouldn't really be used when you are racing in strong winds. I wouldn't spend the money.

Just my opinion....

Say hello to Sipke and Victor (who sailed from Bonaire to Curacao for the regatta!)

A rolling hitch for the halyard-gaff connection will not slip! Also search for a past thread where this was discussed at length and other effective knots were mentioned.

Fred

The Jens rig was developed for the stiff winds of the Caribbean so that should be your first choice for de-powering the rig.

Fred

Thanks to everybody that responded to my 5 questions.
#1) Regarding the halyard knot that slips on the gaff, I’m sorry to hear that the stainless steel hose clamp is not legal, because that’s a simple, clean, solution and really works. I thought I was using a clove hitch, which didn’t work, so I’ll get out my book of knots and see where I went wrong.
#2) Regarding reefing sails for high winds, I will try a small reef by using the Cunningham cringle, the next time the wind is up, although it doesn’t seem like that would actually do much. It’s only been blowing 15 mph lately. It’s the 20 to 30 that get me tired quickly. I am in the process of setting up a Gen’s rig, so that should help also.
#3) Regarding the window that isn’t a window (it’s covered with Dacron). I’m checking with the dealer over on Curacao to see what can be done. I would really like to have a usable window.
#4) Regarding the placement of a halyard cleat on the mast, I will play around with that and try to figure out where it works best for me.
#5) Regarding a center mainsheet cleat arrangement, I really do understand all the reasons for not using one, but I may put one on anyway. Years ago, I found it very helpful on a Laser, (after being told it was not a good idea). If I find I’m capsizing because of it, I will just back-off on when, where, & how I use it. And, of course, that’s all dependent on finding one small enough to fit the Sunfish deck.

While you're in the knot book be sure to check the rolling hitch and be sure to use a stopper knot if you try it. Mine never slips in 10 years of sailing!!! It's basically a clove hitch with an extra turn that makes all the difference.
The clove hitch alone should probably have a stopper knot as well but it always seems to slip.

Fred

to Fred P. Yes, I checked the rolling hitch and something called a double rolling hitch which throws in an extra wrap. I tried that on a broom handle and see where it is far superior to a clove hitch and visa versa. I just went down to the boat today and tied a rolling hitch on it with a stopper knot. I will try it tomorrow with a forcast of 23 mph winds. I also found the old Post from last year regarding this subject by using the search button and searching for: gaff knot. Very helpful, Thank you

CJ,

Since you have already tried the black electric tape and found that it does not work and leaves a mess. Try the white 3M tape instead, it is not affected by the sun and water as the black and seems to hold a little better.

Also try the rolling hitch with 2 half hitches, works for me.

The hose clamps are only "not legal" if you are racing. For recreational sailing you can do whatever you damn well please.

In France it is actually against the law to sail a Sunfish with hoseclamps, even if you are not racing. The Gendarmes all sail 49ers so they can easily catch up with illegally rigged Sunfishes and issue warrants. Glad things are not so tough in the US. BB

Thanks for the info regarding the French Gendarmes. I sail on the West(offshore winds) side of Bonaire where, if something bad happens, the next land is Curacao and then Aruba and then Panama Canal and then FRANCE. So, I will be sure to remove my hose clamp before I land in France. A person can't be too careful.

Back