Class Politics 420 C sail

jotag

Could someone tell me if there are any difference in the sails 420C and International class??. Thank you

There is a significant difference between the C420 sails and the I-420 sails. C420s are 30% heavier. The analogy would be a jeep vs a Ferrari

The I-420 mast is tapered. If your question is, can I use an I-420 sail in my C-420 for casual sailing, then I would say yes, but if you are trying to race, I believe the C420 sails would be deeper, as the heavier hull would require more power from the sails. There are several different cuts for the I-420. I think North offers at least three different mains and jibs and maybe two different kites. Olimpic offers several different cuts, correlated to the crew weight and Zioli offers a few. The I-420 also has a few different masts, with different deflection measurements. When my daughter was in the fleet, Superspars was the hot mast. If I remember correctly, the C420 sails are all the same, made by one company, as required by class rules. The mast is like a telephone pole and outside of the shroud tension, and mast butt position, there was not a whole lot of tuning. It seemed like the c420 sail cloth weight was heavier.

The I-420 mast is tapered. If your question is, can I use an I-420 sail in my C-420 for casual sailing, then I would say yes, but if you are trying to race, I believe the C420 sails would be deeper, as the heavier hull would require more power from the sails. There are several different cuts for the I-420. I think North offers at least three different mains and jibs and maybe two different kites. Olimpic offers several different cuts, correlated to the crew weight and Zioli offers a few. The I-420 also has a few different masts, with different deflection measurements. When my daughter was in the fleet, Superspars was the hot mast. If I remember correctly, the C420 sails are all the same, made by one company, as required by class rules. The mast is like a telephone pole and outside of the shroud tension, and mast butt position, there was not a whole lot of tuning. It seemed like the c420 sail cloth weight was heavier.
Excelent. You are an expert. It is more than I wanted to know. Thank you.

Back