4 rows of holes down length of foot well !

dobrien

I have a 1981 Laser (standard) that a previous owner has drilled 4 rows of 1/8th inch holes about every 2 inches down the ENTIRE length of the foot well !!!

He seems to have thought better of it later and attempted to plug them all up with some sort of stiff, but pliable, caulking material... which, of course, is now coming loose!

Any idea what this might have been all about? Near as I can tell he only drilled through the top layer of fiberglass and into a hollow space that seems to be about 1/2 inch thick and runs under the two slip treads in the cockpit. The cockpit floor appears to be a two layer affair with an air space (?) between.

My boat takes on water as if these holes go all the way through to water (I don't think they even reach the inside of the hull) so I'm looking for any way to plug ANY holes I come upon. Not sure how best to plug such a large number of them however!

What sayest you oh sage ones?

Maybe they were trying to do something like this...

That would be my guess, too. My boat looks the same (although I filled the holes and the area below with epoxy & filler).

Just FYI, there shouldn't be "air" between the layers of glass. It supposed to be filled with foam-core material. Is the floor of your cockpit very flexible?

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Back