4.7 faster than a radial???

Nicko

Why is it that , according to the US sailing's portsmouth yardstick numbers, a 4.7( pn95.4), is considered faster than a radial(96.7)???
Is there something I am missing about the USA handicap system, because there seems to be quite a few boats that the British system say are faster than others which the USA system contradicts.
Any ideas??
Nicko

The higher the number, the slower the boat. The formula is:
CT=ETx100/HC
CT=corrected time
ET=elapsed time
HC=handicap

Think about it this way. A slower boat requires more time to cover the same distance than a faster boat. The higher number equates to more time.

All of that is true, but when it is over 20 knots i guarantee a person would be faster upwind and maybe reaching in a 4.7, once you become overpowered you get slower and slower and slower as the wind picks up

A 4.7 would only be faster in a gale if the helm was heavier, ie a radial sailor downsized due to the breeze. A correctly sized sailor for each rig will get overpowered at roughly the same wind strength. The 4.7 only appears faster in breeze because lots of sailors downsize.

Stick with the same rig all the time and just learn how to control it.

So it is generally thought that the 4.7, on average , is faster than a radial?
I don't think so, but the US handicap system says this is the case. The UK handicap system, however, has a 4.7 considerably slower than a radial, which makes sense.

No, that's not what this thread is saying.

We're saying we don't know how US Sailing PY numbers came up with that.

If it's a point of concern for you; if e.g. you're *using* those numbers in some racing, I recommend you write/email US sailing and direct a pointed inquiry to them about it.

I didn't think so. After all exactly the same boat but with less sail, on average, is always going to be slower.
So the US sailing handicap system is not to be trusted.

Slightly off topic, would you say that a 4.7 is faster, slower or similar to a Sunfish?
Cheers
Nicko

The Average PN (D-PN) for comparable boats

Finn 90.1
MegaByte 90.8
Laser 91.1
Force 5 95.4
Laser 4.7 95.4
Laser Radial 96.7
C/I 420 97.6
DaySailer 98.5
Sunfish 99.6

Maybe the time is better for 4.7's because the sailors are youth, and much lighter?

Back