4.7 division and light sailors

Thread starter #21
rerun said:
although this is the case in many clubs in qld there are a few that wil still sail in 25knot+ winds... because they feel we "need to experience sailing in different weather" in nsw you will generallly find that most clubs will stil have their racing in 30knots+... then it starts to get hard.:p

although, due to the wind pattern in australia we do tend to get stronger winds here on a regular basis... many sailors still try to stick to the world "ideal" weights for their rig... however, when it come to radials and the lower end of the weight range for them, many sailors at 65kg still have difficulty keeping the boat anywhere near flat in over 10knots
i just want to add to that that in 2004 for the mooloolaba winter dinghy regatta we sailed in 35knot gusting wind. they didnt can the race, thus proving that not all clubs cancel racing at 25knots

Yes, I know. I kind of meant more small casual club races etc are the ones that often get canned due to inexperienced people. But you're right, to say 'ALL' was a bit of an overgeneralisation.

At the 125 Nationals in Perth last year we had one race with gusts up to 47 knots! They didn't can it and denied that it was that windy. They reckon it only got up to 20 knots (bull!) I couldn't believe how big the waves were! It was scary actually and there was so much carnage!

Thread starter #23
Yes, I know. I kind of meant more small casual club races etc are the ones that often get canned due to inexperienced people. But you're right, to say 'ALL' was a bit of an overgeneralisation.

At the 125 Nationals in Perth last year we had one race with gusts up to 47 knots! They didn't can it and denied that it was that windy. They reckon it only got up to 20 knots (bull!) I couldn't believe how big the waves were! It was scary actually and there was so much carnage!
haha.. yer it was a very general view.. ur prolly rite though about the smaller club events being canned. 47knots is always fun:D
that wuldv bin scary if you were sayin there was carnage. i remember in ants we used 2 go out in that for club stuff and it was fun... but you generally ended up breaking something or injuring yourslef

rerun said:
how are the lighter sailors supposed to keep up with the 70-80kg ppl in our class/division??
How about moving into a different division where there's none of this, "I'm heavy but I'll sail a 4.7 anyways because I'm cheap like that"

Thread starter #25
because when theres only one division for your weight thats raced on the inernational circuit its pretty limited lol

i have jsut moved up to radials from 4.7 and i only weigh 65kg. in the middle east i found that i was too heavy for the winds as they were mostly very light so that is the reason why i have moved up but where you are going to be sailing has alot to do with it i rekon

Merrily

Administrator
sk8ingsailor said:
Cough cough OPTI'S why are you even in a laser? you should still be in a Opti!i just stopped sailing optis 1 month ago. im 13, and weigh 120. im in a radial now.
The 4.7 is meant for sailors between 80 and 120 lbs, so if he's Lasering, he should be in a 4.7. However, many places in the states don't have 4.7 fleets yet.

rerun said:
its not so much the not hiking and sheeting... its the fact that im 55kg and therefore sailing a 4.7... do u honestly think i could handle a radial now?...

u reely had lack of competition in a radial?

hmmm.. i weigh around 55kg and am sailing a radial. :S it's challenging but fun once you start planing and going faster than everyone on the reaches and downwinds!:p

Hello rerun,

I am around 50kg.. and I have always been wishing for 4.7 to get popular in my country... unfortunately this is not likely to happen.

I am sailing a radial at the moment with of course I am easily overpowered.. But my point is you still can enjoy sailing in your 55kg in a radial *wink*

hello
What is the maximum weight for a Radial? It's for racing. Some of you say that is 200lb other 150lb.............. im lost...
thanks bye