Class Politics 3rd Party Sails For Racing

Deimos

An old topic but I now see that Rooster has a "Premium" 3rd party sail that offers "Standard Replacement vs. PREMIUM Replacement - performance differences noted are improved use and response in lighter airs while maintaining similar power and control in stronger wind ranges."

http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...Product_Code=4592&Category_Code=lsail&SortBy=

At what point should clubs start introducing handicap ratings for Lasers where some boats have chosen to use gear where there is a stated benefit (under certain conditions). The Rooster Premium even has more panels that the official sail - so we are getting very different here.

Not arguing against the Rooster sail (they are free to make and sell whatever they want and they do make it quite clear this is not a class legal sail). More that, if "class legal" boats are racing against others with sails with e.g. more panels and other differences, at what point does the class become a handicap (or development) class ?

When does a 3rd party sail become too much for even general club racing ?

Ian

At Hunts if someone asked to use that sail they would likely be told no as we only allow those sails that are a direct replacement for the original (so things like panels etc.. must match the genuine article as closely as possible).

I have passed this on to our fleet captain and sailing secretary for clarification though.

At Hunts if someone asked to use that sail they would likely be told no as we only allow those sails that are a direct replacement for the original (so things like panels etc.. must match the genuine article as closely as possible).
Considering that none of the copies achieve this, it does question the policy.

Considering that none of the copies achieve this, it does question the policy.

Of course they will never match exactly but the Rooster 'Premium' is clearly completely different. From the description is sound something like the North offering for the replacement for the current standard sail. All other 'replica' sails out there appear to be as close to the original as possible but different enough not run foul of copyright/IP.

Most replicas are fairly similar to the original sail. They are not trying to give you extra speed/height etc, just longevity.

If the sail has extra panels and claims to be better than the official it is no longer a replica. I would not want to buy a sail that didn't try and replicate the official sail, whats the point! I would also have issue with anyone racing at my club with an 'alternate' sail such as this.

Most replicas are fairly similar to the original sail. They are not trying to give you extra speed/height etc, just longevity.

If the sail has extra panels and claims to be better than the official it is no longer a replica. I would not want to buy a sail that didn't try and replicate the official sail, whats the point! I would also have issue with anyone racing at my club with an 'alternate' sail such as this.

My point exactly.

Back