3D Printed Mainsheet Hanger

aborgman

Went through a few different iterations before coming up with these:

IMG_20220808_063242215.jpg

Feel free to 3D print your own -

I am just learning. Can you give some hints on printing specs? How did you orient the hangar on the plate? Type of material?

Thanks

Printing orientation was like the far right in photo.

Sliced in Cura, printed on Ultimaker 3 extended.

0.15mm resolution

20% infill, Cross infill pattern

Support on, line type support, 10% support infill

Mine are printed in PLA, which won't hold up long term due to UV/moisture degradation. For long term viability I'd use nylon, ABS, or PETG.

I would suggest using 100% infill.

The rope loops are almost solid by design, no matter what infill you use.

The section for attachment to the spar used cross infill to increase flexibility.

Going to 100% solid wouldn't really provide any necessary strength, and almost doubles print time... unless you're planning on using them as something other than mainsheet hangers, they don't really experience any loads.

[QUOTE

Going to 100% solid wouldn't really provide any necessary strength, and almost doubles print time... unless you're planning on using them as something other than mainsheet hangers, they don't really experience any loads.
[/QUOTE]

Correct. Once you get above 50% infill, the improvement in strength is often not that beneficial but it does make people feel better.

FWIW, I was doing an order and I think the velcro ones were just a few dollers each so I got them. I have printed out the 3D hanger, but it was end of the season at the club and the people who would have needed them had left already.

I’ve sailed Sunfish since the very early days. I’ve never seen one of these. Even in a showroom the main sheet and halyard were always Just tied on. Change the center of effort by moving the halyard. Please post a photo showing this installed.

Thanks for the photo. Does not seem to be a problem for me. Mostly the sheet runs in little pulleys. The way it was built. The few times I have felt the line it slipped easily up the back of my PFD. I can see where this might make it nicer for tall sailers. Occasionally, 5’-6” works out for me.

Reactions: LVW
I could use 3-strand to make an endless ring.

Sometimes, I think it’s good for the grandkids to turtle the thing. Part of learning.

Thanks for the photo. Does not seem to be a problem for me. Mostly the sheet runs in little pulleys. The way it was built. The few times I have felt the line it slipped easily up the back of my PFD. I can see where this might make it nicer for tall sailers. Occasionally, 5’-6” works out for me.

The hangars go in between the two pulleys.

I think the height thing is definitely part of it (combined with halyard position on the upper).

If you're 5'6" and running the halyard 74" down the spar (Geezer rig) - it's probably never a problem.
If you're 6'2" and running the halyard 54" down the spar (racing rig) - it's likely to be a lot more of a problem.

I'm 6' and run the halyard at 64" down - and if I'm not chest to knees when the boom comes across, the boom itself will catch on my life jacket. I had the forward boom pulley catch in my hair and rip a handful out last week.

Reactions: tag
The hangars go in between the two pulleys.

I think the height thing is definitely part of it (combined with halyard position on the upper).

If you're 5'6" and running the halyard 74" down the spar (Geezer rig) - it's probably never a problem.
If you're 6'2" and running the halyard 54" down the spar (racing rig) - it's likely to be a lot more of a problem.

I'm 6' and run the halyard at 64" down - and if I'm not chest to knees when the boom comes across, the boom itself will catch on my life jacket. I had the forward boom pulley catch in my hair and rip a handful out last week.
ben is 6'2. halyard between 5 and 6 clip. it was getting stuck on his. he loves the hangers.

Back