35 years ago today....

SFBayLaser

I'm sailing this weekend in the St Francis International Master's Regatta, crewing (along with two other Laser sailors: Peter Vessella and David Lapier) for Dick Tillman whom we know not only as an author but also the winner of the first Laser US Nationals. Let me tell you, I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to sail with such a legend!

Tradition at this event has it that the skippers all get up and talk right after dinner on saturday night. What an interesting evening this turned out to be!

Don Trask was first and, interestingly, he recounted the story of how he started building Lasers in San Rafael, Ca., in the early 70's. Of course, we all know what a success his particular franchise turned out to be and I still see some of those boats kicking around. Still, it seemed surprising to hear stories about building Lasers when we were sailing J105's in an old guys regatta!

Ian Bruce was not far behind and he recounted the story of how he and "some other guy" spent several sleepless nights building the first Laser and how one of the people crewing for him in this event helped him fasten down the hardware and then drive off to "some regatta in Wisconsin."

Hans Fogh then got up and talked about how his wife came home from the hospital with his first born son just in time to see a couple of guys drive up in a car with a boat strapped on the top... and then take Hans off to "some regatta in Wisconsin..."

Why did these guys all sailing in a keelboat regatta feel the need to talk about the Laser so much on this particular day?

It turns out that "some regatta in Wisconsin" was the "America's Teacup" in which the Laser sailed on water for the very first time. That regatta was exactly 35 years ago TODAY.

The Laser was a common theme for the evening as almost every boat in the regatta had at least one member of the crew (or, as in our case, the entire crew) who "cut their teeth" in Lasers.

I doubt many of us spend much time thinking about how much history the Laser has developed in its 35 years of existence. Certainly I didn't realize the significance of the date before dinner and sat there just absolutely amazed as all these "geezers" paid homage to the Laser. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Anyway, I was impressed enough to feel the need to post this message before midnight CA time!

Tracy

PS Hans Fogh also recounted the tail of how the Radial came about but... that is another story...

Cool post, interesting read. The Laser is only one year older than me. I wish I looked as slick and cool as it still does.

I agree, avery interesting post. Here in Ontario Canada we are getting ready for winter, our thanksgiving is over as of last weekend. I was putting away the olderst laser # 1488 and was wondering what I would be sailing if the laser was never built. The conclusion that I came to is that there is no boat quite like it. I am sure that without the Laser sailing in general would not mean the same thing to me. I am 47 and have been sailing lasers now for over 30 years and although I have enjoyed other boats I aways return to Lasers. Each time I sail it I am impressed by it. Each time I return to it I wonder "why did I leave"

I use to work in San Rafael, never knew where the factory was though, anyone know?

35 years later, still the best one person one design around!

Thanks Tracy to remember that date to us all :)

Now I know, why my 28 years nice old silverlaser* went so pretty fast and humming on this sunny day in the nice brezzes of Force 4-5 though the waves during the reaches on that lake I was sailing at last Sunday ;)

I think, I can speak for all Laserites from the Continent Europe here: Congratulations!

3 Cheers to the people, that designed, developed and constructed and that Dinghy in the 70ties!
Ludwig
GER 46438
*:
http://www.laserforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=365&stc=1&d=1129721952

Attachments

• Laser GER 46438 on Lake Duemmer at Oct-16 2005.jpg
    Laser GER 46438 on Lake Duemmer at Oct-16 2005.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 44
I fondly remember driving to Windsor, Ontario with my Dad to pick up my first Laser #12561. God I loved that boat. I was once late for club racing and the boat was on the roof. I carried it to the beach alone using the toe strap on my shoulder. Ah, to be young. I sold it in college (broke, no car, etc.) Wish I still had it. That was around '75. I just got back in the class competetively this summer and had a blast.

Personally I think the Laser is the most important class to come around in my lifetime. Happy birthday.

Back