3 inspection ports

Looking at an 82 with 3 inspection ports and was told by someone that races that this boat could not be raced because of them is this true?

They need to meet the class rules:

20. INSPECTION PORTS:Inspection ports not exceeding 153 mm internal diameter may be installed on the deck or in the cockpit to provide access to the hull cavity, provided that any inspection port is fitted with watertight threaded covers (any bayonet mounted parts are deemed to be not threaded). Storage receptacles are permitted underneath hatch covers.

So, check the size and make sure they are threaded. If not, you could change them out to ones that are legal (filling the old hole might be a PIA though)

They are all in the right places. The one up front is for mast step repair, the one in back most likely for traveler and/or rudder mount repair and the middle one for a storage compartment. My 76 hull was the same way. However, how competitive do you want to be? For club level racing this boat may be just fine. Check the mast rake.

This is for my son that is just getting started so club level would be all at first I' m sure. I just don't know which boat to buy the 82 the one with the ports or the 87 the one in the last pick.

If it were me, I'd check the dia of the front one, hard to tell from the pics, but it may be oversized.

I'd also contact someone like Governail, IIRC placing the port on centerline in front of the mast is not the ideal placement. Probably not an issue unless it's really windy, but it would be good to know up front.

The 87 is cheaper but no trailer which is not really an issue. I haven't seen the 82 up close just the pic's. The bottom of the 87 was preety dull but someone told me it was prob just dirty and could be brought back with teplon.

jwisenb495 said:
was prob just dirty and could be brought back with teplon.

I said maybe it was just dirty and meant that you should check it with teflon polish before buying. :)

A dull bottom is not a problem like a scratched bottom. If they are equal less the trailer I'd go with the 87.

Yes they are and I haven't seen the older boat trailer but the way I got the guy on the 87 to come down was to not include the trailer which wasn't really any good. We have a lake house and I have several jet ski trailers that I can use.

jwisenb495 said:
So Merrrily when you turn a boat over should you hear noise of floatation devices moving?

Jwisenb495, they tell me it's not a problem, and you should listen to "them." I'm pretty new at this myself, and I'm here on the forum to learn and have fun!

Hi,

FWIW I'd say the ports are fine. Use other things to compare. For instance:

Both have some bow damage, so check all the hull/deck joint.
See it mast step holds water.
Mast step should be aprox. 14" deep. Deeper means it's worn. Shallower means it has been improperly filled.
Compare back of masts for wear, to judge the amount of use.
Compare boards for amount of use.
Weigh the hulls, 135 lbs is good.
Check for soft decks.
Check how each was stored, ports off hopefully.
Check for corrosion on spars at fittings.
Check bottom for scratches or spider web cracks, c-board slot too.

I'd search on each topic for more info. But don't take too long, as these sell fast in the Spring, if you live where there are 4 seasons.

Al Russell 182797

Back