20th Annual Sunfish Race Around Harker's Island, Outer Banks, NC, July 23-25

kmisegades

Swamp Goose
Harkers Island 2019 B.JPG

Join AeroSouth on July 23-25 at the 20th Annual Race around beautiful Harker's Island, North Carolina. Hosted by the Harker's Island Sailing Club and organized by Sunfish sailing's "dynamic duo", Alex and Sonya Dean, the race is fun and challenging for all levels of sailors. The spectacular scenery around Harker's Island, Cape Lookout, and nearby Beaufort and Morehead City attracts people from around the country. Get all the race details here.

Last edited:
Seeing that view is why I ALMOST bought property in coastal NC... I was checking the listings there for awhile, and there were 'fixer homes' I could easily afford, lol. But I like the climate here in AZ, nowhere near as much humidity even during the monsoon. That island looks pretty cool though, nice venue for a sailboat race. :cool:

View attachment 47162

Join AeroSouth on July 23-25 at the 20th Annual Race around beautiful Harker's Island, North Carolina. Hosted by the Harker's Island Sailing Club and organized by Sunfish sailing's "dynamic duo", Alex and Sonya Dean, the race is fun and challenging for all levels of sailors. The spectacular scenery around Harker's Island, Cape Lookout, and nearby Beaufort and Morehead City attracts people from around the country. Get all the race details here.
PLEASE NOTE - just saw this on the NOR for the race: "SUNDAY (July 25th) – COACHING WITH ANDREY QUINTERO - Andrey is a World Class Champion in Sunfish and in the Laser Class. He coaches youth and adults to sail at all levels. I invited him to come this year and share his knowledge at Harkers Island. He’ll be staying in the region for a month."

Harker's Island Race is family-friendly! There are so many attractions nearby to please the non-sailors. For instance the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum and Heritage Center on the island, take a ferry out to Shackleford Banks, visit downtown Beaufort (pronounced Bow-Fort) with its NC Maritime Museum, the Harvey W. Smith Watercraft Center where you can learn wooden boat building skills, take a dolphin and wild pony watching cruise, rent a kayak, and enjoy the boardwalk. Nearby is a secluded beach on Radio Island, a bit further the surf of Atlantic Beach. In Morehead City make sure to stop at the "Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant", the place to eat for decades. You can even dive on a German U-Boat from WWII off shore. Take a ferry from Harker's Island out to Ocracoke, where Blackbeard and his buddies hid out and had a grand time. The wreckage of his ship, the "Queen Annes Revenge" is on display at the Maritime museum in Beaufort. I'm not a travel agent - just a big fan of the area. From the forecast today, it looks like the weather is going to be perfect for the whole weekend. Hope to see some of you there! Thanks to Alex and Sonya Dean for all the hard work behind the event. KM

Harker's Island Race is family-friendly! There are so many attractions nearby to please the non-sailors. For instance the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum and Heritage Center on the island, take a ferry out to Shackleford Banks, visit downtown Beaufort (pronounced Bow-Fort) with its NC Maritime Museum, the Harvey W. Smith Watercraft Center where you can learn wooden boat building skills, take a dolphin and wild pony watching cruise, rent a kayak, and enjoy the boardwalk. Nearby is a secluded beach on Radio Island, a bit further the surf of Atlantic Beach. In Morehead City make sure to stop at the "Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant", the place to eat for decades. You can even dive on a German U-Boat from WWII off shore. Take a ferry from Harker's Island out to Ocracoke, where Blackbeard and his buddies hid out and had a grand time. The wreckage of his ship, the "Queen Annes Revenge" is on display at the Maritime museum in Beaufort. I'm not a travel agent - just a big fan of the area. From the forecast today, it looks like the weather is going to be perfect for the whole weekend. Hope to see some of you there! Thanks to Alex and Sonya Dean for all the hard work behind the event. KM

I'll be there doing the Friday practice sail in my Zuma... not sure if I can race without a Sunfish on Saturday, so that's TBD. BTW, I pronounce it "Bo-furt" ;)

Back