2021 Sunfish North Americans at Lake Norman

Some photos here via Dan Phelps:

This is a great one!

2FFFAC05-7142-44D0-AE7F-B5AD6A1C81EE.jpeg

'Looks like you can "run what you brung". Wish I had known. :oops:

I was just at Lake Norman five days ago. :confused:

'Looks like you can "run what you brung". Wish I had known. :oops:

I was just at Lake Norman five days ago. :confused:
New boats typically for the Worlds only. All other events, 'bring your own', or charter.
For this year's Worlds in Sarasota FL, a dealer has bought all 100 boats, I have read.

Day 2 smiled upon Conner Blouin with scores of 1 and 3 which moved him up to second in the overall standings. Jose Hernandez kept a strong hold on first.
Michael Ingham is now in third place and first in the Masters group.

No throw-out yet after five races, need one more for that to happen. But I read that the prediction for Sunday is not good with little or no wind to speak of. It would be so nice for the wind to change its mind.

Sunfish North American Championship : Lake Norman Yacht Club (regattanetwork.com)

There was an unexpected 8-9 kts blowing when we went out today. The wind lightened some, and by the last leg of the last race it died, so unfortunately about 25 boats didn’t finish in the time limit. But given the three day forecast for light wind and storms each day we got lucky and had a good regatta. LNYC did a very very nice job!

Thanks Chris for the 'on the spot' update.

Based on yesterday's dire predictions, I guess that not many participants expected that it would be possible to run three races. But Conner Blouin just loved the conditions and got two firsts and a second. That was just enough to beat Jose Hernandez (Guatemala) by two points for the championship.
Mike Ingham held on to third; Masters rule!
Caterina Romero (Peru) won the women's division after finishing fourth overall.
For the complete results, see
Sunfish North American Championship : Lake Norman Yacht Club (regattanetwork.com)

Thanks Chris for the 'on the spot' update.

Based on yesterday's dire predictions, I guess that not many participants expected that it would be possible to run three races. But Conner Blouin just loved the conditions and got two firsts and a second. That was just enough to beat Jose Hernandez (Guatemala) by two points for the championship.
Mike Ingham held on to third; Masters rule!
Caterina Romero (Peru) won the women's division after finishing fourth overall.
For the complete results, see
Here are a couple of shots of the North American's here at Lake Norman

Attachments

• 20210612_114708.jpg
    20210612_114708.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 20210612_105107.jpg
    20210612_105107.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
How many boats were over early (OCS) in a race, typically?
It's really hard to get a proper start when you can't see the pin end...
Many Black Flag starts?

The regatta either started with the U flag or went to it quickly. By perhaps race 3 or 4 they switched to black flag for all starts. Looks like at most 2 or 3 people per race got caught. Results say Ret-BF and I assume those folks were black flagged.

Back