2019 Sunfish Worlds

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #1
Note that the Worlds will open to all July 15/16. There are still a few spanking new boats waiting to be loved.

Here is the more official announcement:

2019 ISCA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP POWERED BY MACLAREN UPDATE

ISCA World Championship, Bonaire – Sept. 14-20, 2019
ISCA Youth & Masters Championship, Bonaire – Sept. 21-25, 2019

There's a lot going on around Sunfishdom in preparation for September's World Championship in Bonaire. Here are some highlights:

• An Amendment 2 to the NoR has just been posted accelerating the date for open registrations from August 1 to July 15. That means that starting on July 16 anyone interested in being part of this epic regatta in Bonaire can register. We will cap the fleet at 72 boats and there are currently 57 entries (assuming all Wait List entries will be "accepted" on the 16th), so don't delay.
  • New information on the Worlds' schedule and logistics have been posted on the Class website HERE.
  • There are currently boats from 10 countries including our first entry from China!

pretty sweet hype/intro to Bonaire video put together to promote the event:

The island and venue look amazing - I've never raced my Sunfish, so would be way out of my element to participate, but I'd love to go there as my vacation and just watch the event!

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #5
You could also contact LaserPerformance (LP) directly.
In the good old days, one could just take a boat home after the event (at a reduced price) .

LP is supposed to supply the Bonaire event with 72 boats. Maybe a few of them will come back to the USA?

Why would you buy Chinese made clunker, if you can buy a fantastic few-years-old US made boat? You will pay less and have a better boat. At this point, I have three. I paid for them between $2400 and $2800. (one 2012 and two 2001) 2001 Vanguard boats are great. Stiff, good shape and not even one gelcoat crack.
I'm set for life.
My 2 cents.

norcalsail

Have there been issues reported with the quality of the Chinese made Sunfish? As an owner of one, I would like to know how they compare to others. My boat is beautiful and I can't detect anything amiss but I don't have a whole lot to compare nor the expertise.

beldar boathead

Have there been issues reported with the quality of the Chinese made Sunfish? As an owner of one, I would like to know how they compare to others. My boat is beautiful and I can't detect anything amiss but I don't have a whole lot to compare nor the expertise.
From what I have heard, they have had multiple factories make Sunfish in china and some were good and some not so good. Sounds like yours came from a good factory.

I have not heard if they are still making Sunfish there or if they all come from the UK.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #10
I really don't know where current (2019) Sunfishes are made. Yes, some in recent history were made in China, but as Beldar mentioned, production may have been moved to England.

With respect to an earlier post, I would like to see evidence that boats made in China had issues. China has many boat building facilities and some are highly regarded. But I do agree that Vanguard boats have a good reputation.

Problems with Chinese made boats here you go: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/08/28/broken-boats-plague-sunfish-worlds/
About 2 years ago Chinese made bunch of boats with daggerboard slot at an angle and builder asked ISCA to change class rules so these boats would be class legal. ISCA voted NO. I just wonder what happened with these boats.
Do you know that Chinese make fake eggs and collect gutter oil for cooking. Do I have to say more?
I was on the board of US Sunfish Class but I quit. I din't like the idea of making boats in China and the legal battle between ISCA and a new Sunfish builder/owner.
Sunfish made in UK is news to me. Beldar do you have something to back this up?
You can buy Laser, that I know.
Maybe it is a new development, but most likely just rumors.

beldar boathead

Problems with Chinese made boats here you go: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/08/28/broken-boats-plague-sunfish-worlds/
About 2 years ago Chinese made bunch of boats with daggerboard slot at an angle and builder asked ISCA to change class rules so these boats would be class legal. ISCA voted NO. I just wonder what happened with these boats.
Do you know that Chinese make fake eggs and collect gutter oil for cooking. Do I have to say more?
I was on the board of US Sunfish Class but I quit. I din't like the idea of making boats in China and the legal battle between ISCA and a new Sunfish builder/owner.
Sunfish made in UK is news to me. Beldar do you have something to back this up?
You can buy Laser, that I know.
Maybe it is a new development, but most likely just rumors.
Well aside from all the new Sunfish I have seen this year having their hull number start with GB I don’t have any proof. You could also email the class leadership for confirmation. I’ll put $1000 and my cone on the line!!

Also can you prove your crooked daggerboard slot story?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #14
A very knowledgeable Sunfish 'insider' confirmed that the Chinese Sunfish used in the 2017 Worlds had serious issues. He participated in this event and reported that the cubby/cockpit was not properly connected to the hull. This caused the hull to slam against the cockpit; very unsettling, to say it nicely.
Moreover, he told me that a number of boats had huge ripples in the bottom, and some had depressed flat hull sections where they met the chine (flat bottom of the hull had to bend up to meet the chine !)
Finally, the tillers were delivered with the aluminum rudder straps upside down. The US dealer drilled out the stainless rivets, put the straps on the right way with aluminum rivets, but some of those didn't last long enough to make it to the course, and some failed while racing. :eek:

mixmkr

So many Chinese knockoffs and counterfeits nowadays....and typically at a fraction of the originals price. Some stuff is ok, but most when compared to the originals, especially made in the USA, differences are most apparent. You see this with sewing machines to guitars to microphones....and on and on. I'm surprised the Chinese fish weren't selling for $500 or less!!

So how do these international competitions work? Do the competitors need to transport their own boats, or do they use boats available locally?

LaLi

Flieger, in the Sunfish class the builder has traditionally supplied new boats for everybody. For most other classes it's a combination of bring-your-own and local charter boats.

Mixmkr, your examples of other products aren't applicable - the Chinese Sunfish we're talking about aren't "knockoffs", they're the real thing, albeit with some technical problems.

_

Thanks, LaLi. I suppose that's why the sell off the race boats after the event. It does sound like a good deal to purchase one of those boats, barring any sort of defects. Do they sell them off locally? If so, what would be the procedure and cost to have one shipped to the US?

mixmkr

Mixmkr, your examples of other products aren't applicable - the Chinese Sunfish we're talking about aren't "knockoffs", they're the real thing, albeit with some technical problems.

_
Yes...my post was confusing and I did not mean the Chinese fish were knockoffs....like many other items, some I mentioned. But production costs on the fakes are typically very low cost....hence pondering what a Chinese fish had the potential to sell for....but realizing the issues that definitely would create as well. Thx for the clarification .

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #20
Yes...my post was confusing and I did not mean the Chinese fish were knockoffs....like many other items, some I mentioned. But production costs on the fakes are typically very low cost....hence pondering what a Chinese fish had the potential to sell for....but realizing the issues that definitely would create as well. Thx for the clarification .
Really, LP was at fault. They were supposed to supervise construction!