2018 Worlds; Wrightsville Beach NC; Oct 7-12

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Who is up to the challenge?

Registration is now open to all. All you need to do is bring a (legal) Sunfish and a desire to sail with the very best and learn from them. One can also charter a boat. All will be using a brand new (colorful?) sail; no need to bring your own.

2018 ISCA World Championship – Registration Update

If you are interested in participating in this year Worlds in Wrightsville Beach, please link to our secure online registration to complete the entry form and submit your information.

You will then have the option to pay online, send a wire transfer, or mail a check to the Class Office to pay the US$550 registration fee.

*Entry fee includes the use of the 2018 ISCA World Championship Edition Racing Sail.

You must be a 2018 Class member to participate in the ISCA World Championship

This is a bring-your-own-boat regatta, but there will be a limited number of charters available. Competitors are encouraged to make their charter arrangements as soon as practicable

Entries will be limited to 100 competitors.

The Notice of Race and all other information regarding the regatta may be found on the 2018 Worlds minisite

Contact the Class Office if you have any questions: [email protected] or [email protected]

Is there any update on the event ? After yesterday’s Hurricane Florence landfall in Wrightsville Beach yesterday morning ?

Is there any update on the event ? After yesterday’s Hurricane Florence landfall in Wrightsville Beach yesterday morning ?
Here's the latest from the Class President:

Dear ISCA members:

Although there is some damage to the yacht club’s lodging facility, it is Carolina Yacht Club’s intention to run the 2018 ISCA World Championship as planned.

We advise all competitors to check their housing arrangements to make sure there is no damage and that it will be available during the regatta. The Organizing Authority can make no promises, but will attempt to find alternate housing for those affected by the storm.

Laurence H. Mass

Day 1 photo from Carolina Yacht Club's facebook account:

43390592_2075491565843377_5172994989398949888_n.jpg

I copied this from Jamie Torres from Puerto Rico's facebook page. Hope he doesn't mind. His comment regarding electronic compasses makes it sound like the Advisory Council voted to permit digital compasses. World Council and World Sailing will still need to approve. Here is Jamie's commentary:

What a first day it was!

Young girls and very old men and everything in between added up to 76 competitors hailing from 12 countries. We set out to beat the crap out of beautiful new sails and mostly new boats in 13 to 20 knots and huge confused seas. The challenging conditions had everybody testing the limits of their hiking pants and putting lots of muscle power to work on the tiller and mainsheet. It was exhausting,quite a few never made it out, lots of people were seasick and throwing up and about 15 people skipped the last race altogether.

The RC started the first race on the dot at 12 noon and sent us on a 5 leg w/l course. The nearly 1-mile upwind grind was only bearable because you just couldn’t wait to rip downwind on the big swells, that is until you buried the bow mast deep and wiped out and there was lots of that going on. Mark roundings were packed tight and closely watched by on-the-water judges. You know there is nothing more fun than going downwind next to a judge boat just itching to call you out for pumping into the waves. The part I’m still trying to figure out is why the wind always seems to die after you round to top mark (apparent wind not-withstanding).

The breeze was fairly steady, a convenient fact since it was impossible to read our soon-to-be old school analog compasses. The long start line was pretty square, but the good guys were always at the pin. I have given up on crowded 1st row starts and now concentrate on looking for a 1st row start with clear lanes on the least crowded end. It works for me in this setting. I succeeded in 2 out 3 starts.

The racing stats are as expected. The 14-strong Peruvian team has taken an early lead. This time is Jean Paul de Trazegnies, Youth World Champion in 2011 with an impressive 1, 2, 1 scoreline. He is leading his good friend and current World Champ, fellow countryman, Alonso Collantes. Rounding out the podium after 3 races is Martin Alsogaray, the sole entrant from Argentina. The US sneaks into the top 5 with on the shoulders of Conner Blouin. Caterina Romero of Peru is the top female and the only woman on the top 20. In the Juniors, Columbia’s Simon Gomez is 11th in the overall and following just 2 points back is Darius Berenus from Curacao. I am so proud to report that PR’s Gustavo Alayon has a top 10 race and is in a phenomenal 14th overall and 3rd among the juniors.

In the masters, Alex Zimmermann from Peru leads with 49 points in 16th overall. He is followed by past World Champ PJ Patin from NY and several time World Champion Malcom Smith from Bermuda. I am stoked to be just few points behind (and about to get few points shaved off I won on redress.) Oh, you want to know what that’s about? Ok fine…On the last leg to the finish I stopped racing to assist two disabled boats asking for help. There was nothing to be done but I only found that out after I detoured. I finished the race after giving up a bunch of places and then asked for redress. It worked.
This has been a tough day but it was capped off with a great dinner, meetings to make the class better and a few beers with amazing friends. The Carolina Yacht Club is killing it on the hospitality front while the Carolina weather is killing us slowly on the water. But we are loving it and hoping for a little less of it tomorrow, not sure we are going to get it!

Reactions: tag
Really nice report; thanks Jamie (and Chris).
Here is another one from Vicki Palmer:

2018 ISCA World Championship - Day One

Story by Vicki Palmer

And what a day it was! With 6-foot seas and winds blowing 15-18, the competitors who braved these conditions for the first 3 races of the championship sailed back to port exhausted and exhilarated.

At the Carolina Yacht Club in Wrightsville Beach, NC, 76 competitors from 12 different countries are competing in this ISCA World Championship. A beautiful Opening Ceremony started out the activities at last night’s social event. Marching to their country’s song, representatives of these 12 countries carried their country’s flag while displaying big smiles and showing great pride in the country they represent.

At the end of Day One, Jean Paul Trazegnies of Peru is in the lead after scoring two bullets and a 2nd, followed by Alonso Collantes, Peru, who is last year’s World Champion. Tied for 3rd and 4th place respectively is Martin Alsogaray of Argentina and David Hernandez of Guatemala. And in 5th place is the USA’s top finisher on Day One, Conner Blouin.

A week-long of exciting racing is planned with Thursday being a layday provided we don’t need to sail that day to make our quota of races.

Stay tuned for more exciting results to be posted. The competition between some of the best sailors in the world will be happening every race day. If the weather predictions hold true, we’ll be looking at heavier air and high seas.

Results after 3 Races

ISCA Facebook Page

Reactions: tag
PS: The very tough conditions are also apparent from the unusually high number of DNC (Did Not Come) and DNF (Did Not Finish) scores for this expert group of Sunfish sailors.

Last edited:
Too much wind for racing Wednesday and Thursday, unfortunately.
Starting time on Friday is 11 am and there will be no starts after 4 pm.
So far, five races have been completed. If the conditions cooperate, the RC should be able to run four more races or so.
PS: There will be a 'throw-out' once six races have been completed.

More from North Carolina complements of Jamie Torres. Hope he does not mind.

Sunfish Worlds 2018 – Day 5

After 2 days tying down boats to keep them from blowing away on the outrageous winds of Michael, we woke up to a beautiful day and a stiff 15 knots breeze for the last day of the Sunfish Worlds. We rushed into the water for an early 11 am start only to find a quickly diminishing breeze.

The usual 5-leg w/l course was set in shifty conditions. In one leg the left was favored then the right and then it was a wild guess but when it came down to it lady luck favored the prepared. Alonso Collantes stepped up his 2018 form with his first bullet in the tournament while Jonathan Martinelli, got his second podium position with 2nd place. Jean Pauls first step off the top 3 was his throw-out. The wind disappeared completely on the last leg as the expired time limit left 2/3 of the fleet with a TLE score of 26. Interestingly, this 26th was one of the best scores for more than half of the fleet!

It’s no surprise that Caterina from Peru won the women’s division. In the Juniors the position remained unchanged from Tuesday but the best Junior for the day was Ignacio Anteguera, from Spain and living in Peru. Of the 14 masters in the regatta just 4 made the TLE cutoff with Jeff Linton posting an amazing 4th place. The final scores for this division had PJ Patin in 16th overall immediately followed by Alex Zimmermann and Hank Saurage.

I’m pleased. I was able to contribute in the Advisory Committee and the World Council meetings where we proposed and approved some class rules changes that will make the Sunfish more fun and safe to sail. I ended 6th master and 23rd just inside my goal. I am deeply appreciative of my privilege to be here. Lots of other folks from my island signed up and didn’t make it. I am here thanks to the support of my family and because of the great help of PJ Patin and Larry Maas extended to me. I loved NC and I can’t wait to come back. They did it right at the CYC under a really tough situation.

Next year the Worlds will be in windy and warm Bonaire. Hope to see you all there.

Back